#1 samjl2008

samjl2008

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi There!
Just wanted to start a quick chat to see if anyone else had bought the flight case for their M20d from Swanflight? It's priced at around £10 more than the Line 6 shoulder bag so was very tempting for me and I ended up buying one and ended up having a very positive experience with the guys at Swanflight that might be of interest to anyone else looking to flight case their new purchase.

Prior to ordering the case, I found a link to a video on the old line 6 forum showing that the swanflight case had a gap around the edge of the mixer, the videod reviewer said that the mixer didn't move around though. Combining this with the price of the case, I took the plunge and ordered. Once it arrived though, it didn't fit properly and the mixer moved around a fair bit - this obviously offers less protection than is required for a £1500 unit!

At first I was, understandably, annoyed about this so I got in touch with them and dealt with a guy named Peter. He apologised and explained that they made the case based upon the L6 schematic but must've been missing some measurements. Between a few emails, up close photos and measurements that I took he then went about redesigning and building my case. They swapped the new case for the old one (even though I'd used the old one in the interim) and the new case is as snug as a bug in a rug (which I'm told is quite snug!).

Anyways, the main reason for this post is to find out if anyone else had gotten this case (did it fit or not?) and to let people considering it know that they know are in the position to make a well fitted case for the M20d as they have all the correct measurements from a real unit.

It should go without saying but I don't have any affiliation with Swanflight but just felt worth mentioning as I was truly impressed by their flexibility and customer service. Massive shout out to Peter!

#2 samjl2008

samjl2008

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:50 PM

Also, keeping the conversation open - has anyone bought the L6 Shoulder bag? If so, what's it like? And how about any other casing alternatives?

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:12 PM

Great post, samjl2008 !

Your experience with SwanFlight http://www.swanfligh...flightcase.html makes them seem very much like a company that provides support to rival that from Line 6:

You did ask for other options, however ...and I both use and can heartily recommend those fine folks from Florida, Gator Cases, who make a huge range of rugged luggage to protect the majority of Line 6's road-going gear.

Just use the drop-down "Select A Manufacturer" options on the left of this page to note the exact Gator model numbers needed to search among their representatives for the actual prices: http://www.gatorcases.com

Although the GBP £ to USD $ conversion invariably makes Gator (at first glance) seem cheaper than SwanFlight, you'll doubtless appreciate that this "aint necessarily so", as it's also dependent on other factors such as the cost of shipping to wherever we happen to be.

Just by way of a guide, here are details (from just one of the USA-based suppliers who ship worldwide) of two "hard" options that Gator list for the StageScape M20d:

http://www.bhphotovi...d_PE_Mixer.html

http://www.bhphotovi...8_ATA_Hard.html

#4 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:03 PM

I had bought a flight case for my PreSonus 16.0.2 mixer.  I bought the M20d before I sold the 16.0.2 and found that the M20d fit perfectly in the case,,, there's no sliding around... Absolutely perfect.   So I obviously sold the 16.0.2 without the case...

#5 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

I just use a standard 10x6U slant top case. Works great. Room for DBX, wireless mic, drawer for Mac mini (light controller), and power unit.

I had bought a flight case for my PreSonus 16.0.2 mixer. I bought the M20d before I sold the 16.0.2 and found that the M20d fit perfectly in the case,,, there's no sliding around... Absolutely perfect. So I obviously sold the 16.0.2 without the case...

Side note, litesnsirens, how are you liking the M20d after the 16.0.2? I moved from the 16.4.2 and was planning on going to the 16.0.2 when I came across the M20d. I miss a bit the quick "hands on" that we have all grown up with, and knowing that I had 6 aux out as well (although I only ever used 4), but other than that, it is easily doing what it could, but more intuitively. As more effects. Not that I use more than a couple per channel, but now I have different reverbs for example for different channels! Vocals or snare, etc. Overall, no regrets. Loving it and getting more comfortable with each gig.

#6 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

I love the M20d hands down over the 16.0.2. Saving trim levels with setups is a bigger feature than one might anticipate. It allows you to truly save your setup. The FBS is a godsend, and as you point out flexibility of effects, the quality if the effects ... This mixer just plain sounds good,.. The Russians put a monkey in space ... Line 6 is now allowing that monkey a chance at a new career as a sound engineer.., this board is that easy to use and get great results.

#7 samjl2008

samjl2008

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

I absolutely love litesnsirens monkey analogy!

And the Gator cases look cool Ron Marton! I've always been tempted by them and there's a few retailers for them here in the UK which I'll have a look into :) How rugged are they? They look quite light, but I've never owned one - that being said, lightweight can be an advantage as much of my cased gear feels twice as heavy (at least) once its flightcased!

To be fair, I probably should've pointed out that Swanflight are based in the UK - I suspect that by the time you've added postage on theres probably some really good alternatives for the continental European, American and Australian consumers.

On a non-M20d related note, I'm also really tempted by the deluxe utility bag that Protection Racket make - any favourite utility gig bags guys? I'm really looking for something to hold a load of leads, spares, laptop, charger etc. great for teaching and gigs - the pro racket case looks good but seems very expensive!

#8 emmebbi

emmebbi

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:19 PM

If lightweight is your goal as it is for me, try this soft case http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B007XD9AIA

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

This case http://www.proaudios...mixer-case.html is very bit as tough as a Pelican equipment case, but far lighter and (maybe more importantly) cheaper.

While Pelican cases are fully submersible pressure vessels, Gator's hard cases are not, ...but one of my TSA mixer cases has shrugged off an accidental high-pressure soaking from an industrial firefighting sprinkler system, with no moisture penetration whatsoever.

It's now about to enter its third year of touring. These TSA cases from Gator seem almost indestructible.

#10 Octo777

Octo777

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 880 posts
  • LocationKeith, Scotland

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:41 AM

Yeah, I bought one of the SwanFlight cases for my M20d not long after I got it, mine fits perfect without any problems at all.

I actually spent a crap load on SwanFlight cases including a pedal board for my HD500 and they are all brilliant!

They even made me a custom insert for the top of my pedal board and shipped it with my second order to them! 

Great service and great products all round!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users