Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trouble Connecting Hd500x Via S/pdif

NordicWarhammer

So, in short, when I connect my HD500X to my interface via s/pdif, I lose all sound on my computer, but it comes back if I simply unplug the cable from either end or power down the Pod. My interface is a Roland Studio Capture, set to the correct sample rate, and I have already re installed the drivers. Any one else have similar issues? Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, and my os is Windows 8.1.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: When I attempt this feat, it forces the sample rate on my Studio Capture down to 44.1 khz.

I was reading this review  and found this. I don't know what is causing your problem but when I read this it might be related, not sure though. I'm not even sure if the article is your device. What I'm gathering here is if the device is set at 192kHz then the spdif along with a couple other things are muted.

Link to page

There are a few qualms, although they are mighty small. As you might expect, if you want to track at 192 kHz, your input count drops down to eight and your outputs down to four, while other useful features are equally diminished - no S/PDIF, a single monitor mix, and no reverb. That certainly isn't a deal-breaker in this price range. I don't know about you, but are you really recording everything at 192 kHz anyway? Our other gripe is the LCD screen. It's functional, but it's pretty small. We wish it were bigger, but it's not really an issue as you're most likely going to be looking at your computer screen anyway.

Thanks, but I dropped the sample rate down to 96 khz a while back so i could gain access to the extra inputs. It really is an odd issue.

Isnt the HD500x limited to maximum 48khz out? 

What is set on your HD? (the khz on the spdif is set in one of the 10 setup pages)

If your Roland interface is set to it, it will receive the "clock" from the HD500x and therefore sets it to 44.1

Hi Nordic!

I have experienced a different problem, related to the S/PDIF, which is that the interface (octa-capture) loses synchronization for a moment, causing the so-called stuttering (and in some cases, turning off the sound completely) .
This happens usually when I take between half an hour to an hour playing, (keeping the HD500 Edit running). It is a very big problem for me because it forces me off the equipment (audio software, monitors, etc), in order to restart the interface!

Has anyone experienced something similar? I am desperate with this situation!

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the HD500 (specifically with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, or maybe the HD500 Edit) because all this does not happen if the HD500 is not connected, and I did not happen with previous versions of OS X, either.

Maybe or maybe not related, but I use the spdif output going into a cheap, powered converter from coaxial to optical. Then that goes into my computer sound card's optical input. In the recent past the sound would seemingly randomly stop. To fix it I would unplug the coaxial cable from the POD and then simply plug it back in. It turns out that electromagnetic noise from a fluorescent light was most likely the culprit. Whether the cheap converter was the thing being affected or the spdif interface of the POD, I don't know. Could be either. It might be worth noting that the fluorescent light is powered by an electronic ballast.

Isnt the HD500x limited to maximum 48khz out? 

What is set on your HD? (the khz on the spdif is set in one of the 10 setup pages)

If your Roland interface is set to it, it will receive the "clock" from the HD500x and therefore sets it to 44.1

I forgot about this limitation. This is good info even if wrong 'cause it brings up the question.

Hi Nordic!

I have experienced a different problem, related to the S/PDIF, which is that the interface (octa-capture) loses synchronization for a moment, causing the so-called stuttering (and in some cases, turning off the sound completely) .

This happens usually when I take between half an hour to an hour playing, (keeping the HD500 Edit running). It is a very big problem for me because it forces me off the equipment (audio software, monitors, etc), in order to restart the interface!

Has anyone experienced something similar? I am desperate with this situation!

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the HD500 (specifically with OS X 10.9 Mavericks, or maybe the HD500 Edit) because all this does not happen if the HD500 is not connected, and I did not happen with previous versions of OS X, either.

I've been running an HD500 SPDIF out into an X3Pro and have been able to run all day and night non-stop recording with either Audacity and Ableton Live 8.2.8 while switching between Audacity and Ableton with HD500 Edit and Gearbox open with no problems. All this while I'm in this forum at the same time and browsing other sites as well. It shouldn't be but maybe it's the interface your piping it into.

Edited by Brazzy

The limitation is interesting info. I actually set everything up to run at 44.1 khz to see if things might start working, but the issue kept persisting (it was the first thing I did when I noticed it being forced down).  I then checked the setup for s/pdif, and it was already set to 96 khz. The Pod and my interface might just not get along I suppose, which would be a bit of a downer being that I forked out a good chuck for it, and I absolutely love it aside from this one issue..

Actually, come to think of it, I did not try lowering the sample rate of the s/pdif output, being that I was intending to record at 96 khz anyways. I will have to give that a shot. I will yet you folks know how that works either way, being that it might be of use to someone else down the line.

• Upvote 1

The limitation is interesting info. I actually set everything up to run at 44.1 khz to see if things might start working, but the issue kept persisting (it was the first thing I did when I noticed it being forced down).  I then checked the setup for s/pdif, and it was already set to 96 khz. The Pod and my interface might just not get along I suppose, which would be a bit of a downer being that I forked out a good chuck for it, and I absolutely love it aside from this one issue..

Actually, come to think of it, I did not try lowering the sample rate of the s/pdif output, being that I was intending to record at 96 khz anyways. I will have to give that a shot. I will yet you folks know how that works either way, being that it might be of use to someone else down the line.

Yes, if your HD500 is set to a different sample rate than your interface, you are asking for issues :) 

If you absolutely want to record in 96khz, you have no other option than to use the analog out of the HD500, AFAIK.

If indeed the devices doen't work well together I would be bummed out too since they actually should, given that they're both SP\DIF devices. Take your time with it maybe things will work out with the right settings, try all the settings possible.

The sample rates on the POD are 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96.

My bad  :D

The advanced manual says:

"Sample Rate (Knob 2): Selects the sample rate: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz or 96kHz.
When connecting to another device’s S/PDIF input, always be sure to set both units 
to utilize the same sample rate"

You also need to set your Roland device to "Slave" or "External Clock" if is offers a clock setting. POD HD's are fixed to act as the master clock in SPDIF connection, which of course means that any other device needs to follow the POD HD clock. If the Roland does not offer a clock setting then look in their manual and see if it is also "fixed" to be a master clock device - if so then the two will likely not work together for SPDIF.

• Upvote 2

You also need to set your Roland device to "Slave" or "External Clock" if is offers a clock setting. POD HD's are fixed to act as the master clock in SPDIF connection, which of course means that any other device needs to follow the POD HD clock. If the Roland does not offer a clock setting then look in their manual and see if it is also "fixed" to be a master clock device - if so then the two will likely not work together for SPDIF.

Good point :)

So, in short, when I connect my HD500X to my interface via s/pdif, I lose all sound on my computer, but it comes back if I simply unplug the cable from either end or power down the Pod. My interface is a Roland Studio Capture, set to the correct sample rate, and I have already re installed the drivers. Any one else have similar issues? Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, and my os is Windows 8.1.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: When I attempt this feat, it forces the sample rate on my Studio Capture down to 44.1 khz.

BTW, it seems it is set to External clock, since the Roland is forced down to 44.1khz when he connects the SPDIF?