Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Keeping Automatic Fbs Settings And Swapping Between Scenes

any way of keeping the "rung out monitors" automatic feedback settings ? i know when you power off the m20d it resets them. I need to be able to swap between setups , ( one setup is a band with a cello etc)  but i donot want to loose my rung out monitor configs. i am using all the input available so i need to have a couple scenes for dif configurations. the bands will be one after the next

any way of keeping the "rung out monitors" automatic feedback settings ? i know when you power off the m20d it resets them. I need to be able to swap between setups , ( one setup is a band with a cello etc)  but i donot want to loose my rung out monitor configs. i am using all the input available so i need to have a couple scenes for dif configurations. the bands will be one after the next

Hi. Just a quick question about this, if that's OK? Are you setting up your PA and monitors, with Feedback Supression set on microphones, and then putting your hand over the mic, moving the mic to create feedback and allowing the M20d to adjust the mic settings? Or is it adjusting the monitors? I'd like to do this with my band, but they get nervous when I tell them to let the ringing continue and let the system adjust to get rid of the feedback...

Thank you.

Malc

Typically, it's a case of pushing the main and monitor levels hard to get to a point where the M20d can no longer notch out enough of the feedback, then pulling your levels back down a good 5 or more dB.

Most feedback is created in the monitor loops so do them separately and deal with the monitors FIRST. Get your band a decent on-stage level they are happy with, then push the levels to ring out. If you can get 5dB above the level they were previously happy with you should be ok for the gig but there are still likely to be odd little whistles here and there as people move about but the worst of it should be gone. Works best if they understand the technique and are willing to stand infront of the mics, up close while you do it. My guys are now pretty used to it but we've only done it in really boomy and echo'ey rooms where FB is more likely to cause us a big problem.

As far as "saving" the FBS settings, it's a no-go. The FBS system is dynamic and notches out offending spikes as and when they occur. As the natureof the resonances in the room changes throughout the evening, as more people come in and move around, saving the settings would normally be counter-prouctuive since an offending frequency early on may well not be an issues later on. With it saved, you're using up a slot that might be needed later on.

Better is to learn placement of monitors versus different mic pickup types, and monitor placement in relation to the performers. No amount of FBS will compensate for bad placement or a singer who gets a little lively with their mic and just gets too close.

Something I forgot to say is that generally, an overall reduction in on-stage noise, typically the noise generated by over-exhuberant back line amplification can go a long way to helping you since if back-line is quieter, singers and toher monitor supplied performers don't need their own monitor levels so hot. The side effect is that the backline amplification adds a reduced colour to your front of house mix. More of the sound heard out front will be what runs through the PA rather than a combination.

Get the on-stage levels down and it makes a massive difference.

We only run two monitors. Once for each singer. I run "in-ears" BUT I only have one in as I'm not keen on the separation effect they bring. It also means I run my in-ears with minimal stuff in except a good level of "me".

Thanks for the reply, I am upto par on monitor placement and the ringing out process, however i am doing a 10 band show and need to switch setups  for a few bands who use violins and cellos so i donot want to open a new setup and loose my automatic fbs configurations when i return to the previous setup after they go on.

Thanks for the reply, I am upto par on monitor placement and the ringing out process, however i am doing a 10 band show and need to switch setups  for a few bands who use violins and cellos so i donot want to open a new setup and loose my automatic fbs configurations when i return to the previous setup after they go on.

In which case, you're out of luck. FBS settings are transient and not stored as part of any setup configuration.

Understand why you want it, but sadly, it's a nogo...

Scenes on the other hand do retain the FBS settings.

bummer, I can try when i get home obviously but , with a scene can you change a preset of a instrument ? then when you flip back to next seen it will go back ? so i.e , guitar one scene, then change preset to cello , then save as different scene?