Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M13 with Expression Pedal.

mattsmith121393

Hello all!

Quick question in regards to the M13. Ive had it for almost 2 years now and Im in love with it!
I recently bought an expression pedal (Moog EP-3) to control my delays and verbs but am having a little technical difficulties.
  When I hook up the EP-3 to the M13 and set the parameters for "heel down" (0%)  and "toe down" (100%) it reads/registers what I want, the only problem is, when I start to use it both "heel" and "toe" down become my "heel down" (0%) setting and somewhere in the middle is my "toe down" or 100% setting. 
    The EP-3 has a polarity switch on the bottom of it. When I switch it to "other" it accepts my settings, but only lets me use the pedal for one heel to toe shift. After that, I lose control of the parameter entirely.  
   It also has some sort of pot on the side of it. When I turn this, it just affects the 0% after I set it. Meaning If I want I can change 50% to be the new 0%. But it still does the same thing as when its all the way up. except it only controls 50%-100%. 
   I also contacted Moog on this issue. They said switch the polarity switch and tell them what happens. The have yet to get back to me on my reply.

Im sorry if this is a little wordy or confusing. Please let me know if I need to re word anything! 
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
-Matt Smith

not all expression pedals are created equally and none are really supported except the Line6 EX1

having said that.. others will work... but the potentiometer internally is what you would concern yourself with...

i believe it needs to be 10k

I've been looking into getting an expression pedal for my HD500. I used to have the L6 brand 'ex1' and it was plastic, though it worked fine, the sweep felt awkward, and placing any weight on it felt like it might be bad for it.

I just found out about this Mission Engineering; they made a couple of expression pedals for specific gear; a two port version for use with the Eleven Rack into a MIDI controller that takes two plugs, and they also have a "Line6" specific pedal; it actually has the Line6 logo on it~

Even comes in two finishes - metal, or all black; here's links to Sweetwater, it's $130

Metal

Black

"Sweetwater Exclusive! Expression Pedal for Line 6 Products

The Mission EP1-L6 Expression Pedal lets you control all your Line 6 products that have expression inputs. If you like to whammy and wah with your Pod HD or other Line 6 gear, you'll love the EP1-L6. Made in the USA, the EP1-L6 features all-aluminum and stainless steel construction and strictly top-drawer components for rock-solid reliability and years of silky-smooth operation. The EP1-L6 even has a non-slip rubber pedal surface to keep it in place during your more energetic performances. If you've got Line 6 gear, pick up a Mission EP1-L6 Expression Pedal!"

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i´ve a cuestion, the DVP3 VOLUME (X)  from Jim Dunlop it´s compatible with the M13 as Expresion Pedal???.

Is this one  http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/dvp3-volume-x

This I found on other forum:

Q: What are the specs for the Line 6 EX-1 Expression Pedal?
A: The Line6 expression pedal is a passive 10K ohm mono linear taper pot, using a standard 1/4 inch mono instrument cable.

In the manual of DVP3 is info about 10k ohm. I think it can work :-)

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, I have a DVP3 Volume(x) and it DOES NOT work with my Line 6 equipment (.

The expression function does use a 10k Ohm pot, however the output is through a TRS (stereo) connection.  It looks like all the Line 6 equipment (including my HD500X) takes a TS (mono) or standard instrument cable connection.  The Line 6 EX-1 has a TS cable built in.  Mission Engineering (mentioned above) has one model (EP1-L6) that works with Line 6 and takes a TS connection; all their other expression pedals take a TRS connection and won't work with Line 6.  The manual for EP1-L6 says it works with the whole array of Line 6 equipment, so I'm assuming all the Line 6 units (POD, M13, etc.) require the same TS connection.

Symptoms: With the DVP3 connected with a standard instrument cable (TS) the signal on my HD500X goes from 0% at heel down, up to 50% at mid-way, and then back down to 0% at full toe down position.  Not exactly useful.  I don't know if there is a way to cable the TRS to TS connection so that it would work properly or not. I'm not going to mess with it.

Looks like I'm off to return the DVP3 (which I really like because of its weight and smoothness of operation) and get an EX-1.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

I also got the Moog EP-3 recently and have the same issue.  I don't have the issue with my ZT Extortion pedal, the Moog works fine with it.  It's frustrating to think that, after hearing for years that many other volume pedals would do the job, it sounds like they don't.  Since my Line 6 EX-1 broke I now have to go buy a $130 Mission engineering pedal ?  Come on!