Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX100 Direct To PA

Punkster

Hi

The suggested setup options when using the FX100 on the line 6 website do not show a link to a PA (there is an option where it says 'speakers'. Just wondered if anyone has been able to connect FX100 (and Amplifi) to a PA? How did you do this and how does it go in the live world?

Ta

Punkster

I don't have an Amplifi FX100; but typically to get a multi-FX (with no XLR out) into a PA, you'd use:

Main Out Left/Mono --{mono guitar cable}--> direct box --{XLR cable}--> mic channel on the board

If the PA is running in stereo, and you want to use stereo guitar FX, then you'd use:

Main Out Left --{mono guitar cable}--> direct box --{XLR cable}--> mic channel on the board (panned left)

Main Out Right --{mono guitar cable}--> direct box --{XLR cable}--> mic channel on the board (panned right)

Probably don't want to pan the channels hard left and right on the board -- maybe 9:00 and 3:00, or 10:00 and 2:00. Depends on the room layout and speaker position. You don't want someone sitting in front of, say, the left PA speaker to miss half of your sound.

Personally, I never use stereo. It's just one more thing to go wrong...

Mic channels are generally more flexible, because they typically have a trim control (aka gain) with a huge range. The sound guy uses the trim to match your signal level to the board. The stereo inputs on a lot of mixers don't have trim controls; so if you're using a stereo channel and your signal at the board is too hot or too low, there's not much they can do.

If you have your own PA and you can verify that the stereo input channels work OK with your FX rig, then use them; but if you're using house PAs, it's best to stick with mic channels IMHO.

Finally, make sure you configure the main outs on your FX board to Full Range (or similar), not Guitar Amp.

-Rob

The specs on the site say that it has '1/4†stereo full-range balanced outputs.' This should mean that the Main Outputs will accept a TRS plug. Depending on your setup you could run a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TRS directly into your board or you could use a TRS to XLR cable or adapter. With either of those setups there should be no need for a direct box. 

The Amp Out is unbalanced and would require a direct box to go to a PA. It would not require one to go to a guitar amp.

This is all based on the specs online. I could not find anything in the manual that specified. I do not own this product, so I have not actually tested it.

• Upvote 1

Hi. Thanks to everyone for your answers. That helps a lot. I am running FX100 through Heath & Allen Mixer at home which works fine through iMac / KRK Monitors. Can I also ask if most live venues would have direct boxes to allow 2 x TRS or Mono Jacks to be converted into XLR, assuming that most venue mixing desks have XLR (and not jack inputs)?

Just wanted to avoid loading my tones, taking it out live and finding I can't output the sound! Feels risky but I like the idea of portability. Maybe I have to take head / cab combo with me as backup.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Could you not run dual 1/4" to XLR to the PA system? I am thinking about changing from the HD500 to the FX100 just for easier changes to sounds while playing if need be through my Ipad. What's your all's thoughts on this? I play at church and sometimes I need to tweak my sounds on the fly and it's not easy to do with the HD500.

@ cm3550

Yes, you can do this, just keep in mind the main outs are line level.

If I were you I would demo the FX100 to see if the differences in tones are ok for you and then weight the ease of editing vs differences in tones.

I have the FX100 and a POD HD.

I currently do not gig.

I like both tones for different reasons, but overall I do prefer the HD.

The quality of the tones can be very subjective.

The HD has more DSP and more deep editing parameters, but the FX100 has more amps.

I have the FX100 coming so I'm going to compare the 2 and see how they stand up to each other sound wise. I play at church and we do anything from southern gospel (Not as much) and Contemporary like Hillsong, Misty Edwards, Planet Shakers and etc.

Thanks for your info I appreciate it.

I used my new fx100 at church this weekend. Ioved it. I was using a POD XT LIVE. I loved being able modify on the fly. Tones sounded great including some that it "matched" for the songs I was playing.

It sounds as good as the XT. I don't have an HD so can't compare to that.

I used my new fx100 at church this weekend. Ioved it. I was using a POD XT LIVE. I loved being able modify on the fly. Tones sounded great including some that it "matched" for the songs I was playing.

It sounds as good as the XT. I don't have an HD so can't compare to that.

I also used my FX100 at church yesterday and it sounded great. I agree with your post above.

I did have the HD500 and the tones sound great on FX100. Compared to the HD 500 I have to say they are pretty close and being able to change things on the fly makes it better for me.