Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

If you buy a second hand POD, will you have USB connection issues?

hoodermaniax

I've just bought a HD500 second hand, and I'm having problems installing the drivers and getting the POD to 'talk' to my computer. Could this be because it's second hand and is still registered with the original owner? Whatever drivers I download, HD Edit and Monkey still tell me the device is not connected, and when I find the POD in my device manager folder and try to update the driver from there, I get a message telling me that Windows can find the drivers but can't install them because access is denied. Could anyone help?

Have you tried registering the HD500 yourself? If you are able to register it using its serial number then it is no longer registered to someone else and hence you can eliminate that possibility. If you are unable to register it, open a support ticket to get Line 6 to help you  with registration.

If it is registered to you and the problem persists, please come back here and provide more info such as your computer type and OS. Also make sure you are using Line 6 Monkey to assist you with driver download and installation. Pay particular attention to when Monkey tells you to disconnect/connect the HD500 via usb.

Hi there, thanks for the prompt reply.

I've now registered the product myself and I'm having the same issue still. I'm on Windows 7, 32bit, using an Acer Aspire computer (which otherwise runs programs fine). I've tried installing the HD 500 drivers on their own, without success, and also using Monkey to update the drivers (with the POD disconnected until promted to connect it) , still no luck. I reboot the computer after each attempt, and I've also tried uninstalling my antivirus, still nothing. 

Basically, each time I use Monkey to install the drivers, after I'm prompted to connect the POD, nothing happens, the drivers don't even try to install, and I still get a message telling me that no device can be found.

The POD is appearing in my device manager folder, under 'other devices'.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Try using different USB ports on your computer - especially those on the rear panel rather than front panel of your PC -  and make sure you are not using any USB hubs. Also, try temporarily disconnecting all other usb devices to determine whether there may be a conflict with some other device.

Yes, tried all of that, I'm not using any USB hubs, I'm going directly into the computer's USB inputs, no other devices are connected to the computer right now. I tested the USB ports with other devices and they work fine.

Seems like this is a common problem that doesn't have an easy solution, but thanks a lot for trying to help out.

At this point I would open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 tech support on this.

One other thought: check the usb port on the HD500 device. There should be a plastic rectangular piece protecting the 4 wire pin connectors. If you don't see this plastic piece, its absence could explain things. That would definitely involve a hardware repair - and I would return the device for exchange/refund if possible.

Did you have a chance to observe the HD500 working properly with a computer before you bought it?

Yes I bought it this morning and the previous owner had everything working fine on his computer, I saw it in action, and as a stand alone the unit is working perfectly, it's just this connectivity problem which is the issue. The USB input on the POD looks to be fine, no pins exposed.

Unfortunately, I live outside the US and I don't think the UK is supported by the support ticket system. 

Yes I bought it this morning and the previous owner had everything working fine on his computer, I saw it in action, and as a stand alone the unit is working perfectly, it's just this connectivity problem which is the issue. The USB input on the POD looks to be fine, no pins exposed.

Unfortunately, I live outside the US and I don't think the UK is supported by the support ticket system. 

Lol, your story is exactly the same with mine http://line6.com/support/topic/7558-i-cant-connect-my-pod-hd-to-pc-through-an-usb-cable/ . I'm sure that registered or hardware is not the problem, cause the old owner show me the drivers work with his divices, its 2 divices not only 1. Many of people have this issue some years ago, i thought that line 6 did something to this... I had opened a support ticket, but i have tried for a thousand times of  their solutions.  

Yes it's time to open a support ticket I think, but thanks a lot for the help and advice everyone, greatly appreciated!

Hope everything works out for you.

After reading thread after thread about problems buying second hand Pod's I wouldn't buy anything like it untill the original owner can get it working on my computer first. This means I would never buy a used one online. Of Course, hindsight is always 20/20.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes it's disappointing to get hold of the gear you've been saving up for, then encounter these frustrating problems. But I agree, buying this kind of technology second hand is always a bit hit and miss (ironic when guitar/bass players tend to be traders and dealers by nature). 

IMO there's some missing link between the original user un-registration and new user re-registration, it's as if something doesn't get recognized along the way, making it difficult for the owner to get things up and running.

But I have to say thanks for the help some users offered here, it was much more considerate and detailed than the Line6 support, which was basically 'get a new USB cable'. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think this is Line6's fault. I think it is a problem with the pc or operating system itself.

Have you tried to completley de-install / remove the device in the device manager?

After de-installing disconnect the POD and reboot. After rebooting install the driver (not with monkey, donwload the driver itself and double click on the .exe file to install). Reconnect the POD when you're asked for.

I'm on windows7 too and this worked for me.

If you have trouble remove the POD in the device manager this video should help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uNW26y9HSo

• Upvote 2

Yeah i know this is not l6 problem. Just because i had a line6 pod 300 before, it had a problem with drivers too (this one got hardware problem so i couldnt install the drivers, not like my new pod hd). At first i thought that my pod hd got the same problem as my old hd300 so i was completely mad, but its okay for now.

it's windows 7 so many possibilities... UAC could be blocking the driver install (It did say access denied). The user account on the PC might not have authority to install certain aspects of the driver. You gotta be admin with FULL control and also run the driver installer as admin just to be sure...you can try to install it, then after it fails look at the event viewer (Admin tools in control panel) and find out the specific reason for the error... could be as simple as a service that is needed that isn't running....

• Upvote 2

Also, make sure you are not trying to connect to a USB3 port.  I've had mostly bad experience with those and legacy USB 1.1 and USB 2 devices.  They may look like they are connected, but they don't function properly.

• Upvote 1

I found out the hard way that these devices will not work at all on slower USB ports.  I bought a USB isolator that only runs 12MBit and the pod will not work with it.  I was trying to see if I could reduce ground loop problems.  Unfortunately, I have not found a USB isolator that will run full USB2.0 speed.

• Upvote 1

I just bought a used pod today and didn't have any problems connecting it, installing it or updating anything. The process want exactly intuitive though, I must say.

It's nice to know that you've had zero problems with your used Pod. It would also be nice to hear all the details related to your success. For example, all the important details about your computer's components, type of usb ports, did the previous owner unregister it first, did you reregister it before you started installing drivers, and any other important details.

I'm under the impression that the user needs to understand the computer and it's programs he or she is going to use it with well enough to have a good experience. I will always say your just asking for trouble if you buy any electronics used without first getting the original owner to let you try it on the equipment your going to use it with.

It's nice to know that you've had zero problems with your used Pod. It would also be nice to hear all the details related to your success. For example, all the important details about your computer's components, type of usb ports, did the previous owner unregister it first, did you reregister it before you started installing drivers, and any other important details.

I'm under the impression that the user needs to understand the computer and it's programs he or she is going to use it with well enough to have a good experience. I will always say your just asking for trouble if you buy any electronics used without first getting the original owner to let you try it on the equipment your going to use it with.

First of all, why the hell would you downvotes a post like my last one? I apologize if my reality where things worked is an unpopular view.

Anyway funny you should mention that, because it's a good point. Actually all the details are irrelevant here because I was already certain it would work, because I knew in advance I wasn't buying any software licenses. Generally, "Standards Compliant" usb devices all work with all my computers already (my Macs and PCs are all 5 years old or under, running latest OSes) and the HD500X is no exception. The fellow I bought it from didn't know what he had or he would have been able to figure out how to make it sound good and wouldn't have sold it to me for the lunatic price he did. And I rarely buy anything I don't know everything about beforehand, because I like learning about gear, too!

You're absolutely right as far as registered software -- it doesn't always work and you should ask. I always assume all software associated with devices is already registered. But the HD500X doesn't have any software licenses like that at all. And most devices labeled "Standards Compliant" can be used without paid drivers from the manuifacturer. In this case, Line 6 needs you to install drivers because the device is complicated, so it's just all free. Yes, I'm aware that in the past Line 6 transferred software licenses for some secondhand hardware sales and some users weren't aware that would be the case and were upset. 

I'm super excited to be in the owner's club. I should post a hello thread, shouldnt I?

• Upvote 1

Firstly Welcome to the forums here, and I hope you enjoy your Pod as I and many other people do.

Lastly, I was asking myself the same thing about why you downvoted my first post., wich I though would be somewhat helpful by informing unsuspecting used pod buyers on what to look out for so they may have a more knowledgable experience while making that used pod purchase. I never bought a used pod or had any real trouble with my pods so I couldn't really offer any good hands on info. I voted your post down 'cause you simply came in here and siad you had good luck, thats it. I figured I would to make that downvote you gave me worth while by trying to get more information out of you on why you were succseesful in your driver installation.

O.o I didn't even know I clicked on that! I'm sorry, I must have just been clicking and not paying attention.

• Upvote 1

O.o I didn't even know I clicked on that! I'm sorry, I must have just been clicking and not paying attention.

Lol, that thought did run thru my mind. I guess I should've mentioned it, lol. My apologies right back at Ya. Carry On.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have just purchased a used HD 500 from Guitar Center and it interfaces perfectly with my Windows 7 computer as do my used Roland GR55 and very used Boss GT10 . Remember when you download drivers /editors etc... you have to launch them and follow all installation instructions exactly or they are not "installed". I never registered anything regarding this HD 500 unit I just downloaded and installed the correct drivers/editor and I was downloading customtone patches in about 20 minutes. Line 6 is much less fiddly than the Roland stuff.

I hope you get it figured out because these HD units are great sounding and a lot of fun.The Boss/Roland stuff I use is very utilitarian and has great build quality but the Line 6 gear is a lot more fun IMHO.

Good Luck!

• Upvote 2