Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So I put my Variax 500 away for a while because it was messed up, now I have decided to fix it. When hooked up to the pedal it gets power then loses it, then it gets power, then it loses it. You get the idea.

With the back off of the electronics, you can "jiggle" the wires and it starts working again. sometimes. So I am fairly certain it is a short in the wiring. Can I buy a new wiring harness for this thing or do I have to make one myself?

Please no "take it to your service center" or "send it to Line6". I took it to a service center (1.5 hours away-and waited 6 months) when it first messed up, then sent it back to line 6 three times and they did not fix it either. That's why it was put away.

Plugging a wiring harness in and soldering a few items is not rocket surgery. 

If anyone knows what connectors and type of wire I need, please let me know.

Thanks,

Lama

So I put my Variax 500 away for a while because it was messed up, now I have decided to fix it. When hooked up to the pedal it gets power then loses it, then it gets power, then it loses it. You get the idea.

With the back off of the electronics, you can "jiggle" the wires and it starts working again. sometimes. So I am fairly certain it is a short in the wiring. Can I buy a new wiring harness for this thing or do I have to make one myself?

Please no "take it to your service center" or "send it to Line6". I took it to a service center (1.5 hours away-and waited 6 months) when it first messed up, then sent it back to line 6 three times and they did not fix it either. That's why it was put away.

Plugging a wiring harness in and soldering a few items is not rocket surgery. 

If anyone knows what connectors and type of wire I need, please let me know.

Thanks,

Lama

Unclear on how you're connecting - is it from a pod with a Line 6 ethernet style cable or are you using the TRS style jack connection from the A/B power box the variax came with? Tried different leads?

Do you have the same problem when you're using battery power?

It could be a dodgy/dirty connection in the jackplate which is replacable (well certainly is for 300/600, so I assume is the same for the 500). Your local Line 6 dealer could supply you with one surely - modular fittings, make it easy. Only problem I had was the newer replacement was slightly longer and I had to take to the body with a hammer and chisel to make it fit - needed more depth in the cavity.

id start at the  jack plate as  stated  above. had a problem  with power  through thr trs cable  and  what it turned  out to be was  the  spring steel connection to ground  with the  jack out of the guitar  but  still hooked  up  you can test this  easily enough by just pressing  in the contacts .  if this is the case  then  you can still get that part.   if it is the harness  well  your  on your  own there.  i doubt that is the case  though. another  power  problem ive heard  of  were   trouble  with the   tiny resistors  on the main board.

I am using the floor pedal with the TRS cable. Same issue occurs with different, TRS cable, floor pedal, and power adapter. It works fine on the battery.

Well, I hope it's not the jackplate because that was what line6 was supposed to have replaced one of the times I sent it back...But since it is still not fixed, I guess it is on me... I really enjoy this guitar but the poor customer service I have received made me decided a few years ago I would never buy another L6 product.

• 2 months later...

I have had the same problem before, when using XPS A/B box.

I bought XPS-DI box (power adapter for Variax bass). It has more power and a little bigger output voltage. I use it a couple years w/o any problem with intermittent sound.

Milan