Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help anybody? Variax flashing red knobs

Hi, I purchased a JTV 69 from a shop (display model) the guy said the battery had run out so couldn't see the Variax mode. I already have a Variax 500 and so a flat battery didn't seem much of a problem. Since then I've charged the battery and on power up the Model selector knob and altered tuning knob flash red continuously . I've looked through manuals and online threads and appears simply pushing the model select knob should be enough but not matter what i try the flashing just continues. I've tried different power sources (DI box and batteries) and powering up with 1/4 inch while having model select knob pressed down and pickup selected in the middle but still no result. I will be contacting line 6 tomorrow but in the meantime has anyone got a solution or suggestions?

Thanks bud. I contacted line 6 support today, it needs the flash memory restarting but because its in a state of limbo the software can't detect it. I have to send it in for servicing. Thank you anyway. I hope this helps somebody else with a similar problem.

Is there a factory reset on the JTV similar to the HD500?

According to this

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/variax-reflash-and-software-update-instructions-r103

The only way is to reflash it from your computer.  Here's a quote from there.

Q: How do I update or re-install the flash memory on my Variax Electric 300, 500, 600, 700 and James Tyler Variax guitars?

A: These instruments can only be returned to factory reset by reinstalling the flash memory

Thanks for your replies fellas, unfortunately  I still haven't solved the problem completely. I managed to break out of the flashing lights by powering up with the model selector button pushed in and pick up selector to the middle ( I had tried this a dozen times before and it didn't work) I uploaded the latest firmware and workbench HD finally recognised it. I uploaded the new sounds but the guitar will still not function in Variax mode, not at all. It's going in for service before I've even played it 8(

..try holding the model knob in a little longer and see what happens...

My q was concerning the abv, not a flash update...

I know that on pre 2 f/w versions, by pressing 'n holding the Guitar Model Selector until the backlights behind both this knob and the Alt Tuning knob start flashing, I enter  in Variax Mode and I can access Virtual Capo.

Does this feature apply also on latest 2.1 f/w?

My q was concerning the abv, not a flash update...

I know that on pre 2 f/w versions, by pressing 'n holding the Guitar Model Selector until the backlights behind both this knob and the Alt Tuning knob start flashing, I enter  in Variax Mode and I can access Virtual Capo.

Does this feature apply also on latest 2.1 f/w?

I dont think you can do it on 2.1 f/w but im not sure.

ok, let me b more specific:

On pages 12-13 of the "James Tyler Variax Pilot's Guide" there r various procedures abt "Creating custom alt tunings" and various "Factory reset options" (c attached screenshot).

Anybody tried those with 2.1 or 2.0 f/w?

"Display" models are still supposed to function...I'd start making noise about getting my money back if I were you. As a retail veteran, believe me when I say that if you persist long enough you'll get it...because ultimately what they want is for you to go away.

You are right mate, but the guitar was perfect in every other respect and pretty cheap at £650. It's gone back to line 6 now so as long as I get it back and working I'm happy. Pain in there arse though!