Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 600 no sound and no green light on input to power supply

I purchased a sunburst 600 from Digital Village in the UK in 2010. All was fine until it went back after approx 8 months as there was no sound at all coming from the guitar. It came back in a couple of weeks working fine until about a year ago when the sound started cutting in and out and then once again no sound at all and that the input light stayed red when it used to turn green At this point infuriated with Line 6 I bought a Godin XTSA.

I would like to get the 600 working again and would be grateful for some ideas on what might be wrong with it based on the experiences of others but also noting the following:-

the power supply box is the same one that I've had since I bought the 600 (Red and green light version)

The Planet Waves cable is as supplied with the guitar

the 600 has only been played at home i.e ungigged.

I do not want to go through another Line 6 service centre saga again (but this time having to pay!)

Regards
Mark

I purchased a sunburst 600 from Digital Village in the UK in 2010. All was fine until it went back after approx 8 months as there was no sound at all coming from the guitar. It came back in a couple of weeks working fine until about a year ago when the sound started cutting in and out and then once again no sound at all and that the input light stayed red when it used to turn green At this point infuriated with Line 6 I bought a Godin XTSA.

I would like to get the 600 working again and would be grateful for some ideas on what might be wrong with it based on the experiences of others but also noting the following:-

the power supply box is the same one that I've had since I bought the 600 (Red and green light version)

The Planet Waves cable is as supplied with the guitar

the 600 has only been played at home i.e ungigged.

I do not want to go through another Line 6 service centre saga again (but this time having to pay!)

Regards

Mark

You'd need to exhaust all possible power supply avenues.

If you don't have a pod (HD500 or the like) and haven't tried the dedicated cable to connect those two, I'd find the nearest dealer to stock the Pod of pedals and try a connection to it (basically an ethernet cable if you haven't used them). These also provide power to the vax, and allow control of preset variax banks by the Pod. Doesn't matter if it's the older X3 or XT or the current HD series of Pod - they all supply power to the variax.

Sounds like you MAY have a dead one though if the battery doesn't work either.

It COULD be a simple connection problem. I'd say seeing as the warranty is no longer valid, you may as well dive in and check it's innards for that. It's all modular, so it's NOT rocket science to check connections before going to the next step......

Hello, I'd like to try to weigh in on your problem.

So, when I was cleaning out the inside of my 600, I was fighting with having the power to go correctly (scared the living crap out of me) but it was mainly due to the coffin sitting incorrectly within the cavity and touching things and causing grounding problems.

My power supply also did not turn green. Sometimes there was sound but it was faint and staticky. I pushed the coffin down and it became green again, then carefully screwed it back into place. I did a few tests and it seems good now (knock on wood).

Anyways, that could be one of the reasons. There's a LOT of complaints about the 300/600 coffin. It causes grounding and short circuiting issues. If nothing works, and you know what you're doing, try to work with the inside of the guitar.

eenymason, I connected the cable to a Bass Pod as you suggested I have with no luck, so I don't know what that proves?

clay-man thanks for the tip I'll have to check out the coffin seating although my initial attempt to remove the pickguard failed as it sits to tight to the neck, so I'll have to unscrew the neck a bit :(

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I shall keep on eye on this, I have exactly the same problem: no sound and red lights on the dials which select instruments and tunings etc

Open up the guitar (assuming you've cleared all the other possible external connection solutions - make sure you've tried VDI as well as power/connection via supplied power supply/TRS lead), and check the connections between PCBs, and also to the output jack assembly, and earths. Search (both this forum, and "google", for hints on opening her up if you haven't done it before). If you can't find any info you need regarding this procedure, reply (quoting this reply), and I'll try and help with questions. Good luck.

eenymason, I connected the cable to a Bass Pod as you suggested I have with no luck, so I don't know what that proves?

clay-man thanks for the tip I'll have to check out the coffin seating although my initial attempt to remove the pickguard failed as it sits to tight to the neck, so I'll have to unscrew the neck a bit :(

probably too late for you now, but anyway...

if you don't reply, quoting my reply, I will probably miss if you ask me a specific question....

If you are still looking at fixing your variax, see reply to Martyn Buxton, for further info.