Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Podxt Live - Volume Drop Problem

Hi

I have a PODxt Live and every time i switch one of the patch pedals to something with any distortion or overdrive the volume drops and the sound breaks up. It does it on other effects but to a lesser degree and seems to choose the effect at random.

If i twiddle the Chan Vol knob a little bit it comes back to full volume and correct sound.

I have fully updated Monkey and drivers but it didnt make a difference. I also did a factory reset by reinstalling the flash memory (just in case i somehow did anything to cause the problem) but the problem still remains.

I have tried it with different guitars and leads etc to rule out those possibilities for errors.

Is there anything i can do about this by myself or will i have to get it repaired?

I bought it brand new in November '12 so i assume its still under warranty. If it needs repaired who do i send it to? The retailer or a Line6 repair centre?

Peace

Hi Toneman2121

Thanks for replying.

I did what you asked and it seems to sort out the volume dropping etc between patches. Which is good news :)

But if i then turn the Chal Vol up the volume cuts out and the Chal Vol knob takes over which gives me a louder volume, which i like :). If i then switch to a new overdriven/distortion patch the problem returns.

Peace

P.S. I don't know if it makes any difference but i mainly play with headphones plugged directly into the back of it.

i think there's definitely a problem with the pot. if you feel you can take the back off, you can access the pot, spray some electronics cleaner in it and turn the knob many times to swipe the dirt off. but this will void the warranty. it also might not work. so it's best i think to submit a support ticket or call line6 service. but then you'll be without your pod for a while.

p.s. does the problem occur when playing through an amp?

Hi Toneman

Yeah just put it through my amp 'Orange' and its still the same with or without headphones.

Since it's only a few months old and with warranty still on it i dont fancy taking it apart and voiding it.

I've put in a support ticket so it's just a matter of waiting for them to get back to me. I know there is a good chance of me been without my XTL for a while but at least i should get it back fully working rather than having to constantly fiddle with it between patches just to get them working and driving me crazy in the mean time.

Thanks for your help mate.

Peace

this same thing happened to my xt, now long gone, sold it to my boy bluestone. he used to post on this forum but we haven't heard from him in a while. i tried cleaning it but it only helped a little. i contacted line6 and they sent a new pot free of charge and the xt was out of warranty for years. i wound up switching it out. pain in the lollipop

To be honest i was thinking about selling it when it gets fixed.

I like the machine but because of my crappy experience with it i would just be waiting for something else to go wrong rather than enjoying it because it is showing me it is unreliable. It's definitely not something i would feel comfortable using in public.

The first multi peddle i bought was a Zoom 505 and that was about 15 years ago. Ok by todays standards its a bit crappy to say the least but it's still going strong. I also have a Korg G3, which is also ancient but works with no problems. In fact all my other guitar boxes and peddles work flawlessly.

I'm just surprised that after a couple of months of occasional livingroom use (never been gigged with) the XTL has developed problems that seem to require new parts.

Which gear is it you are you using now?

Peace