Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the L3 loud enough for an FRFR rig?

I'm currently using a 1 x 12 50w Marshall tube amp with an HD500 and JTV 59. I'm convinced about the whole FRFR rig concept, especially as I play in a band covering everything from Metallica to mellow acoustic and need the versatility. The only thing I'm worried about is whether the L3 packs enough of a punch compared to my 50w Marshall.

I'd really appreciate comments from you guys, especially those who have gone FRFR. Is the L3 loud enough??

I'd like to know that as well! I am still working towards a couple of the L3's; I've got two L2t's and they work quite well for floor monitors, and they definitely crank as a stereo pair for the HD500.

In terms of power, the L2t/m are 800w each, and the L3t/m are 1400w each. The L3sub is 1200w.

L3 is louder than anything you'll need onstage.  Way louder than your 1x12 Marshall.

If you have a decent PA I would suggest L2, and save your hearing.  An L2 should be all you need to monitor guitar onstage.

I'd like to know that as well! I am still working towards a couple of the L3's; I've got two L2t's and they work quite well for floor monitors, and they definitely crank as a stereo pair for the HD500.

In terms of power, the L2t/m are 800w each, and the L3t/m are 1400w each. The L3sub is 1200w.

In my experience, the L2t's have worked well for FOH as well as an individual "amp" and I've not needed the power of the L3...

Go for the L3 though if you can afford it. I have both and just find it much easier to get a better sound out of the L3. Both are good speakers, but the L3 is better. And get the "t" as well. Ya just never know what you might want to use it for someday.....wish I got the "t" versions of the L2's....still give myself a kick once in a while....even though they are 95% used as floor monitors....there have been times when I wish.....

I run direct all the time, don't even own a guitar amp.  When I go to just jam I take my L3t and run vocal into one channel and guitar into the other.  With the channels volumes at a bout 1.5 I am keeping up with the other live tube amps and acoustic drums.  Guitar is easily sitting in the mix and the vocals are nicely on top and there is tons of room to spare.  And to be fair, when I had my L2t I did the same thing and it also cut through easily.  I prefer the 3 for overall sound just a bit bigger but definitely prefer the L2t for portability.  But if you're already lugging a 50W Marshall combo you're breaking even in portability.

I run direct all the time, don't even own a guitar amp.  When I go to just jam I take my L3t and run vocal into one channel and guitar into the other.  With the channels volumes at a bout 1.5 I am keeping up with the other live tube amps and acoustic drums.  Guitar is easily sitting in the mix and the vocals are nicely on top and there is tons of room to spare.  And to be fair, when I had my L2t I did the same thing and it also cut through easily.  I prefer the 3 for overall sound just a bit bigger but definitely prefer the L2t for portability.  But if you're already lugging a 50W Marshall combo you're breaking even in portability.

I got the L3m in the end, used it for the first time on Sunday at an outside gig and WOW....it sounded awesome! More headroom than you can shake a stick at. When we make it really big and play the 02 arena I might get the volume past half way!! I have been umming and erring about FRFR since the Stagesource speakers came out, now I'm kicking myself for not doing it earlier.