Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

question about virtual tiltback in an FRFR rig

Hi 

I have just ordered an L3 speaker to replace my existing guitar amp. It will be used in conjunction with my HD500 and JTV 59 giving me an FRFR rig.

I have a question about the virtual tiltback function. What is the best orientation of the L3 when in 'electric guitar' mode being used as a backline? What are the pros and cons of positioning the speaker on its side rather than upright?

My guess would be that you will get the virtual tilt experience with the speaker upright.  If you have it on it's side, you'll presumably be using the kickstands and have an actual tilt experience, it'll just be coming from a lower position.  If I'm not mistaken the virtual tilt is done with some kind of time delay on certain frequencies so the speaker orientation would be key to this and therefore the speaker would have to be upright in order to utilize it.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of key things you need to be aware of in regards to the virtual tilt back and FRFR in general.

1st thing is, Virtual Tilt back is only turned on via one of the backline modes (Guitar, Keyboard, Acoustic) while the speaker is in an upright position and is not mounted on a pole or turned on it's side. 

Virtual Tilt-back  optimizes the speaker tuning to achieve an upward tilt to its main axis and the idea is that it helps aim the sound upward towards you when the speaker is placed on the ground (like and angled 4x12 cab).

HOWEVER.....when you use "Electric Guitar" mode while you will get the virtual tiltback feature actived, you won't be playing FRFR as the Electric Guitar mode turns of the tweeter and just uses the subs (again, just like a 4x12).

I can say with experience (and in my opinion) that using P.A. mode to get FRFR with a Pod HD using L6 Link gives you the best sound anyway.....the Electric Guitar mode might be better if you are plugging direct into an input with another external Amp Sim or whatever, but Electric Guitar Mode really lacks definition with the HD units.

Another thing to remember about the L3 is the "bottom" is at the top when standing upright. Bass comes from the top speaker. I have only read that in this forum....I have never actually checked it out.

Actually, there is a Sub at bottom and the top, the tweeter is in the middle.

Actually, there is a Sub at bottom and the top, the tweeter is in the middle.

Yes, correct, there are 2 - 10" woofers with a tweeter in the middle, but, the sound from each 10" woofer is not the same. The top one is set up to produce the lower end. I am not sure if this is in all modes or not. As I said, I haven't checked it out myself, I have only read about it on here....somewhere...

Yes, correct, there are 2 - 10" woofers with a tweeter in the middle, but, the sound from each 10" woofer is not the same. The top one is set up to produce the lower end. I am not sure if this is in all modes or not. As I said, I haven't checked it out myself, I have only read about it on here....somewhere...

Oh really? This almost seems counter intuitive as it would make more sense (in my head at least) to have the speaker producing the bass, closest to the floor?

Unless perhaps they found using the top sub to produce the bass frequency produces better clarity somehow?

Regardless, the key thing for our OP to remember is that if they want an FRFR system (and they do) not to worry about Virtual Tiltback and stay in Reference/PA mode.

Oh really? This almost seems counter intuitive as it would make more sense (in my head at least) to have the speaker producing the bass, closest to the floor?

Unless perhaps they found using the top sub to produce the bass frequency produces better clarity somehow?

Regardless, the key thing for our OP to remember is that if they want an FRFR system (and they do) not to worry about Virtual Tiltback and stay in Reference/PA mode.

Yes, agree. I was looking for the info on the speakers. I will have a listen and see....hear. I can't find it using search..,I found it odd as well for how it has always been in most speakers.

Bass definitely comes from the top speaker when upright. At least in PA mode. 

As Dboomer has said in another post "... they are a woofer and a midrange.  The L3 is a 3-way system.  Using a guitar as a sound source you are likely not getting much from the top speaker except when you play your lowest notes.

Intuitively that may seem off but it has to do with pattern control."