Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

NPD! New POD HD500X Day if that's not the acronym :)

juicyjones

Hi there. I'm right in the middle of building a new guitar rig from scratch (long story) and because I'm starting from scratch this time -- I don't even have a tuner pedal right now -- I decided to take the leap into the land of Line 6 dream rig. It'll be a while before I can afford a variax, but my new guitar is great and I don't need a cabinet or speaker for a while. 

lFG6KG7.jpg

I've been shopping for an HD500X for months, and I finally saw a deal on Craigslist I couldn't pass up!  So I bought a one and I couldn't be more excited about it. I've already obsessively watched every video I could find on youtube so I have a good idea what's in store for me, but apart from just reading the manual, which I'm enjoying right now over a cup of delicious coffee, do you seasoned owners have any tips for a POD beginner? 

Until I meet some more locals or get involved in a band I don't need a speaker. Until then, I'll be using this on my graveyard shift working at home at my computer. I have all the drivers and software all installed, everything works just fine, firmware etc is up to date. I've uploaded a couple of patches from right here, and created one or two of my own. I have a lot of learning to do with that I can see!

VI85jEl.jpg

That's my Girlfriend's awesome Jaguar in the picture above, my guitar is a 1992 Washburn MG74 that I pretend is a Telecaster with a 43mm nut. I actually did install a Tremol-No in there to give me a little more flexibility with tunings.

I've been using the POD HD500X for about 12 hours now and I am just flabbergasted at the quality of this device, and the possibilities. Having said that, I can certainly understand the learning curve and some of the frustrations people have with the HD500X. My unit is only four months old and I'm the third owner. The last two fellows sold it because they couldn't make it sound right in their rig. Since I'm starting from scratch, that's irrelevant -- I'll just buy a speaker or amp that sounds great with this! But I think that's a telling tale and is probably the whole reason the AMPLIFI FX100 exists.

I am very good with tech and I do a ton of research so the solutions are maybe a bit easier for me to arrive at, but I see what they mean when they say it takes time to dial in your sound, and that you should start with a fresh preset as soon as you learn how to edit them.

Mostly the only obvious problem I'm having is that the recording level coming into my computer seems really low, so any I/O tips are welcome. I mean any tips at all :)

And later, there's this question:

QNI4jq3.png

Welcome and congratulations.

I have owned the HD500 for near two years and it still amazes me.

The problem with this unit is you are given 25 amps and a hundred FX. If you had the hardware equivalent it will take a while to find every possibility.

It is also an audio interface, it can be EDITed via a computer via USB.

It can also be a midi controller.

It has a basic looper function.

It is trying to do alot of features and with its ins and outs it is alot to learn. 

When making patches different output configurations will respond differently to each patch.

My advice  before adding anything amp wise is get in deep with the HD500X with your Studio monitors.

If you have the dollars and you need a rig to gig because you have gigs then try out the choices then.

What you get will depend on if you play rhythm or are the soloist in the band.

But you could just go FOH right now thru the XLRs but if you need better monitoring on stage you'll know what you need.

Welcome and I'm glad you're enjoying your POD.  I've been tweaking mine for months along with hanging out on this forum and I still consider myself a newbie.  It is awesome though.  

I'm pretty sure that when the time comes to make your next decision, you'll be able to rule out the Amplifi quickly.  The remaining choices aren't as easy.  I have the DT25 and I love it but I still keep thinking about adding a Stagesource.  I'm sure when all is said and done I'll end up with both.

Welcome and I'm glad you're enjoying your POD.  I've been tweaking mine for months along with hanging out on this forum and I still consider myself a newbie.  It is awesome though.  

I'm pretty sure that when the time comes to make your next decision, you'll be able to rule out the Amplifi quickly.  The remaining choices aren't as easy.  I have the DT25 and I love it but I still keep thinking about adding a Stagesource.  I'm sure when all is said and done I'll end up with both.

It seems inevitable, doesn't it? Only my better-half in the house here really wants the AMPLIFI, cause she's heavily into the iOS thing, but she's warming up to the Stagesource speakers, she loves tech toys.

• Upvote 1

Everything besides the DT25 or DT50 is a pale facsimile of what the Pods are capable of.  They are designed to be put thru an amp that can match up with them perfectly.

If you are falling down the rabbit hole of L6 gear, just save yourself the stress and get a DT amp to go with it.  Everything else lacks that sweet sweet tone of tubes in the power section.  Folks will tell you other amps work fine if you punch straight in to the power section using the effects loop on the amp of their choice.  They don't know what they are missing.  There is no substitute for basically 8 different voicings for a single tube amp, coupled with the sweet amp sims and the effects at your disposal.  Just go for the DT.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'd second the DT amps.

What will happen is this;

You'l be playing thru the different amps and cabs.

They are so good as to whet your desires for the real amps.

You'l lust for a tube amp as you have had a taste.

You won't know whether to go one of thew amps modeled or what.

If you go one of the amps modeled and integrate the HD500X you'll find you prefer it without and will get into pedals and get on here saying how only the pure stuff is real! LOL

If you got the DT you get the tube thing with all possible topologies in tube amps that integraters well with the HD500X

All you will then need is the Variax. 

If you are frugal like me you might discover the power amps of a solid state combo or head and a cab let you get more from your POD. 

We are talking 20% of the cost of a DT here.

You pick up an older 100watt solid state amp head or combo with inbuilt spring reverb tank with a send return FX loop out jack for a 2x12' cab and you'll be a loud as and this is perfect for metal.

If you play metal stick with solid state.

If you are really good and are always booked in gigs. Do not hold back on quality

Remember,  quoting Bart Nettle.

"THE BEST IS MADE FOR THE BEST IN ANY FIELD"

Y'all are great, thanks for all the thoughts. It looks like a given I'll be getting a DT25 then, and in the mean time I think I'll snipe some craigslist amp with an effects loop - there are dozens a day on there for less than $150. Humility prevents me commenting on my own playing, but I'll say I don't need very high end gear to sound good enough for what I'm doing, just some loudness until I can afford the Line 6 Amp and find some peeps to collaborate with.