Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Installing an Earvana nut on a JTV69

I am thinking of putting an Earvana nut on my JTV69. I currently have a problem with the high E string being cut too low. Rather than filling the slot and then filing it back down I would like to replace it with an Earvana but don't know which model Earvana I need. It looks to me like the Fender Retrofit Style or the Fender Shelf Style. Does it make a difference?

They are different.  You may have to contact them and see if they know.  The other thing is that the JTV69 neck is slightly narrower than a Strat neck.  I put an Earvana nut on my Variax 500 many years ago and I used one designed for a Strat neck and it was fine.  My 500 neck is slightly wider than my JTV69S though.  I would carefully measure the width and string spacing then contact Earvana and get the right one.  By the way, I really like Earvana nuts.  Their first fret compensation does improve the tuning.

Just be sure that it lines up with the fret board edge correctly or it may throw off the scaling.

Because if that happens, intonation will be pain in the derriere (if possible at all at that point).

I see that all to often, so use caution on that one.

• Upvote 1

That is the idea of the Earvana nut.  It has slightly different positions for each string - and it's adjustable towards and away from the bridge slightly to help compensate the notes played close to the nut.  I have them on several of my guitars and they make a difference if you play lots of chords near the nut.

That is the idea of the Earvana nut.  It has slightly different positions for each string - and it's adjustable towards and away from the bridge slightly to help compensate the notes played close to the nut.  I have them on several of my guitars and they make a difference if you play lots of chords near the nut.

Sounds like 1/2 of the Buzz Feiton tuning system.

It is similar to the Feiton mod but much easier to do.  It also doesn't rely on tweaking the tuning so you don't need a special tuning method.  This is from what I have read several years ago and not from any personal experience so it may not be 100% accurate.  I have used Earvana nuts with good results and they are easy to install without modifying your fretboard.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having an issue with my JTV69S and the high E string as well, I am in the San Jose area and of course my warrantee is out of time so I will be out of pocket on this repair.  Anyone know of any GREAT guitar techs in this area?