Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buy Pod HD Desktop for clean sound recording?

pibi

Hi. I worked a lot with vst plugins guitar rig, pod farm and amplitube and i could not ge the sound that i want. Im talking about clean tones for ska music. I want to sound like this:

I like close sounding raw clean gitar. Till now everything in vst plugins sounded far and flat ( after mastering, eq processing ...). Will the pod hd desktop do the job and how i should record it?:

1. Direct to my interface ( line 6 ux2/ Focusrite 2i2) ?

2. Through pa speakers ( 12"+1" fbt himaxx 40a) + mic (shure sm57)

3. Through amp tube + mic (shure sm57)

I have fender strat and classic vibe 50s tele.

Why connect the POD to the Focusrite?  the POD HD is an interface on its own.  Adding the 2i2 is only adding an unnecessary layer between the POD and the PC.

If you want to mic your amp, that's fine, too, if you are liking the sound you are getting driving your amp or PA from the POD.  Then you'd be connecting your POD to your amp/PA, and the Shure to the 2i2.

• Upvote 1

He doesn't even need the Focusrite for that as the HD500 has a mic input as well. In fact, you can record the mic'd amp on one channel and the raw guitar w/FX on the other. No external soundcard needed.

I use my HD500 for all sorts of acoustic instruments (mainly to EQ out the various resonances and to match volume levels) so I know it's very good being clean. The Fender amp model is notorious for good clean tones. I like the Soldano clean channel as well.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, we don't know what you like best.  You'll just have to try them both.  Some people like one, others like the other.

He doesn't even need the Focusrite for that as the HD500 has a mic input as well. In fact, you can record the mic'd amp on one channel and the raw guitar w/FX on the other. No external soundcard needed.

But he doesn't have a HD500, he's got a Desktop Bean it sounds like, which is much more limited on I/O.

I've tried to set up a two track recording through the Bean, thinking I'd like to record my voice clean through the mic, and set up an amp and guitar effects chain on the other stereo channel.  But it seems like it is very difficult to not have the two channels combine at any point.

Plus, it seems he's already got the 2i2, might as well use it and keep the signal path simple for both the POD and overall....

I've found trying to screw with tracking two signals into the POD and then into my DAW as two very separate signals is a nightmare keeping it straight and being able to set up effects chains I want in the POD.

Thanks, but which method is the best to get this sound i like - direct or pa/mic ?

I use the UX2, X3Pro and HD500 and have recorded via USB with Audacity and/or Ableton Live 8 and like the results. I haven't tried recording an actual amp cab with an actual mic that much but think this might be a bit superior to the usb way.

Sorry, we don't know what you like best.

I like clean (raw, close) sounds for ska music like i put over for example. One more think - does Pod x3/xt are based on Podfarm ampand cab simulations? I wanted x3 but when it sounds like pod farm i will buy hd.