Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

vocal compression ratio live

It's another one of those "It all depends" answers  ;) What exactly do you hope to gain?

There is both compression ratio and threshold to consider.  So you could use a very low ratio (say 1.4:1) but set the threshold 15-20 dB low  Or you could set the ratio higher (4:1) but set the threshold at 0 or above.  As you noted, if you are feedback challenged you probably will have very little room to operate without causing yourself a lot of problems.  Also remember that a compressor effectively turns up all the unwanted junk and leakage that your mic picks up.

So my best suggestion not knowing anything about the particulars of your situation would be (assuming a rock band performance) to leave if off or set the threshold very high (0 or above) with a ratio of 4 or less.  If you can "hear" much compression I'd say you are running too much.

Now if I was doing speech at a school or a house of worship then I could use a bit more to achieve the "announcer" kind of voice.