Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

25w, 50w, 100w which one is better to me?

pabluez

Hi everyone,

I have a pod hd500x and now i'm looking for an amp to buy. Maybe it's gonna be the dt25, but now comes the doubt: Is 25w too small for me? Most of my time actually I play at home with headphones or studio with their amps. But right now going to start playing in not very large bars (and they provide only the drum kit). So, is 25dT enough for my situation?

thanks in advance

best regards

Pablo

Personally I think the DT25 is your best option. I own a DT 50 2x12 and I do occasionally play a larger venue and outdoor venues so I needed the extra power ( I thought). The 50 still has more power than I will probably ever use but Damn does the thing sound good. But in retrospect I should have gone DT25 because most of my playing is done at home. I am a completely satisfied DT and pod hd500 user and I can't give a better recommendation for an amp to go with the pod. And I've used Marshalls, Egnator, and H&K, with 4cm and none compare to what I can achieve with my DT.

Depends - are you relying on the amp alone to get your sound out to the audience, or mic'ing thru the front of house?  If the first, you might want more wattage.  If the latter, I've found my 25 to be more than adequate for my needs - and since I designed my bands sound system with 5 discrete monitor sends everyone on stage can get what they want blasting away at them.

BTW - I used the term "mic'ing" - I've actually been using the DI on the amp to send to the FOH.  We have a very good FOH engineer, quite experienced, and he's been very happy with what he's hearing out front...

edit - btw, I've found there's a hell of a lot of volume difference between 75% and 100% on the DT master knob.  Tripped me up in rehearsal last night in fact.  Just pin that puppy to max and adjust levels on the channel controls...

I bought DT25 (and 2x12 cab) couple weeks ago and I use it with 500x. This setup is very very loud! I have DT master about 75% and 500x master less than 50% in rehearsals. We have very loud drummer and loud basist, 'normal' 2nd guitarist :), keyboardist and singer, so overall volumes are LLLoud :) Tomorrow I gig with it the first time. We mic the cab anyway but I'm sure that DT25 would be enough on its own too. I have to try "ricstudioc's" tip about maxing the volume, thanks...

. I have to try "ricstudioc's" tip about maxing the volume, thanks...

As always, YMMV - but as I mentioned I was in rehearsal, didn't seem to be getting there.  Looked at the amp, channel pre/posts seemed decent, and amp master was around 75%.  Said heck with it, jumped the master up - WHOA!!! It was certainly NOT "a bit" more.  Seems like there's a LOT of push in that last quarter throw on that knob.

Hey - I'm still learning this rig.  But from now on, I start w/the master maxed, and back down if/as needed.  There's plenty of juice in the 25...

I got the DT25 combo with my 500X unit. I was also concerned about having enough volume because at times I have to push ith just the amp wit the 1/12. I played a show this weekend outside using just the combo amp. I was about 75% on the master and had to roll off the volume pedal I had setup for some stuff.  The DT50 will give you more volume for sure, but I DT25 will do in most venues without a problem. It's much louder than I expected it to be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've owned proper 100watt Marshalls and never find the Dt25 lacking. I don't think it ever goes above 40% through a nice 2x12. If you're thinking of playing somewhere where you need more volume, you'll be running drums through FOH. By that stage, you'll want the engineer to have control of your amp by mic/DI anyway!