Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

nicman

Alright so Ive had my 500 for a while and I hear so many recordings that sound great with it. Now Im pretty good with equalizing and balancing the lows, mids, and highs. The thing is though, I can't make a great sound like those in the recordings, I mean I've tweaked but its so far out there I know there isn't going to be some magic spot where it comes alive. Point is it sounds like a solid-state not even tube like which I hear in many other videos. Ive even downloaded the tones that I thought were amazing from custom tone and still sounds like a transistor! So is it in the mixing of the recording? If so then how do they have such a realistic live sound? if you can create a great sound with this, whether you know how you came up with it or not I just ask for every little detail you use when making the tone the recording or playing live, thanks.

I use the pod as the soundcard with my speakers plugged into the phones jack (bose speakers, not individual recording speakers) but that shouldnt kill my tone plus my pa still sounds like crap. I cant get those same realistic tones like Ola or any of the other guys.

Does it sound OK if you just monitor with Headphones in the phones jack?

You should be able to get a good sound just using a guitar with an amp model with cab+ mic sims on in STUDIO output mode.  You should then be able to record that in garageband and get a very good playback.   

Also - as pfsmith0 says - what have you got inputs set to?   GUITAR/SAME setting is +6DB louder than GUITAR/VARIAX - and if you are using a guitar with HUMBUCKERS and you have not engaged the PAD switch on the front of the HD500, then you may well be over driving your inputs as pfsmith0 suggests.

If you can't get a good sound with a simple patch and set up and you have double checked all input and output settings are correct and that all your leads and connections are in perfect working order then perhaps you have a faulty unit.

Alright I'll check my inputs. Though I guess I should specify, it doesnt sound bad, but sounds solidstate, and in so many recordings they sound very much like tube. Yes headphones it sounds fairly decent

Alright I'll check my inputs. Though I guess I should specify, it doesnt sound bad, but sounds solidstate, and in so many recordings they sound very much like tube. Yes headphones it sounds fairly decent

Glad to hear that through headphones it sounds fairly decent to you - that means the unit is not faulty.     Can you actually get it to sound as you want via headphones or is it just very close but still not quite there?    It could just be that you don't like the sound of the unit and can identify the digital sound above all else - or it could be that your chosen methods of monitoring or the equipment you are using to monitor the output are highlighting the digital characteristics.   Hearing is very subjective and some people will always hear the digital characteristics of the HD500 no matter what they do to overcome it.   Have you got a valve pre-amp or power amp that you can use to monitor the output through? Or a mixing desk which has quality mic pre-amps on the input channel?  These can add warmth and help cover the digital characteristics and may be all you need to get to that sweet spot.

Have you seen the MEAMBOBBO guide on the HD500?  It covers many things and does have a very useful section on EQ that may be just what you need to tweak the unit to your needs - here is the link to the EQ section of his guide:   http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/eq

Hope that helps. 

• Upvote 1