Photo

Using "other" powered speakers for mains/monitors w/ m20d?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 egkor

egkor

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

Hi Everyone,

After being a Line 6 customer for tools other than Live Sound/PA, after research and reading these forums, I went ahead and purchased a m20d and 2 L3Ts. 

I currently use a simple old-school Yamaha powered PA head (MX512?) and (2) Yamaha passive speakers (SM15V) for mains/monitors.  

My needs are:

1)  Solo acoustic guitar/vocal, would use single L3t

2)  Duo acoustic guitar and keyboard, vocals, would use L3t(s) w/ m20d as acoustic guitar and vocal amp system with one L3t configured as a single main, the other L3t configured as a monitor

3)  Classic Rock full band, acoustic and electric guitar(s)+male/female vocalists+drummer with electronic drum kit, would use m20d and both L3t(s) as FOH, with a feed from the m20d to some other monitor system  

My question is this:

Does anyone use the m20d mixer with other brand powered speakers for mains/monitors?

I am aware of the virtues of the L3t's:  Line 6 Link, scalability, integration with the m20d, self-configuration, etc.

!!!!  --->>>  But, I could also save a significant $ amount if I went with other brands' powered speakers for mains/monitors.

I haven't unboxed the L3t(s) yet, I was wanting to ask this question first and see what feedback I received, knowing full well I'm asking this in a Line 6 StageScape/StageSource forum.  :)

Thanks!

Live Sound: Line 6: m20d, 2 x L3t, 2 x L2m 

Variax:  JTV-69 (manuf. 3/2012), Variax 500 (manuf. ~2003)
Guitar Amp:  DT50 Head, Marshall 1936 2x12 cab (2xCelestion G12T-75)
Modellers:  POD HD500
Other:   Fender Strat HSS, MIM (~2012), Taylor 614ce (2011), Taylor 315ce (2010)

#2 dieterstoll

dieterstoll

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Locationsouthwest Germany

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:06 AM

Not a problem at all. I do so all the time (using RCF's TT-08A powered speakers, not necessarily a money saving option compared to Line6's offerings, but they happened to be around before the move to M20d).

#3 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11514 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:25 AM

2)  Duo acoustic guitar and keyboard, vocals, would use L3t(s) w/ m20d as acoustic guitar and vocal amp system with one L3t configured as a single main, the other L3t configured as a monitor

I am aware of the virtues of the L3t's:  Line 6 Link, scalability, integration with the m20d, self-configuration, etc.

!!!!  --->>>  But, I could also save a significant $ amount if I went with other brands' powered speakers for mains/monitors.

An alternative for your #2 situation is to leave the M20d out of the setup. Connect your 2 L3t via bi-directional L6 LINK and use their two onboard side-panel mixers for  your guitar and vocal inputs. Putting your acoustic guitars into Channel 1 of each speaker allows you to use the L3t Acoustic Guitar modeling, which I find delivers a better result than an M20d preset. As for vocals, use Channel 2; there is less flexibility here than with the M20d in terms of FX but results are still very good. Your keyboard can go into the rear-panel line inputs on one of the L3t. Both L3t speakers will deliver the full 5-input sound. And you still have additional rear-panel inputs if you need them.

And you are right: the virtue of the L6 Link compatibility among all devices comes with a price tag. Other speakers will work just fine, but the L3t will be better. I find the sound quality/clarity of the L3 speakers to be exceptional on their own even without the L6 Link benefits. Are they worth the extra $$? Only you can decide that.

Is there a return period for the L3t? Maybe you can temporarily acquire alternate speakers during this period and compare with your L3t. Then return whichever set you want.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#4 gordwait

gordwait

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:43 AM

We use powered Yorkville NX55s and subs for mains with the M20d. No problems.

The parametric EQ on the output channels - and - the live real time analyzer make it very easy to tune the room. 

I rented an L2T for a bit as a vocal monitor, sounded very nice, much nicer than the Yorkvilles..

#5 Octo777

Octo777

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationKeith, Scotland

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:54 AM

The M20d is pretty versatile and I've used it in a number of different configurations.

My most common set up I use is for my Acoustic Duo. At one point I had 3 L3m's and so used two for FOH and one for Monitor all using L6 Link and it worked beautifully.

For full Band set ups, I used it in the same way with the addition of 2 L3s Subs and either one or two (depending on the size of the stage) Behringer Foldback monitors and I had no issues with the fact that I was using both a monitor on L6 Link as well as two monitors from the Monitor outputs.

Ultimately, I found carrying 3 L3m's quite cumbersome, especially for acoustic gigs and so opted to sell off an L3m and now I just use the Behringer Monitors.

If money allows, I will definitely look into getting some L2 speakers for Monitors though.

I guess to sum up, yeah I use the M20d with both Line 6 and other brand speakers and it works beautifully.

#6 egkor

egkor

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

Hi again Everyone,

Wow, Thank you!  I appreciate your responses!

I am still undecided about the Line 6 speakers (L3ts), and I knew that staying all Line 6 would be pricey (it is what it is), going in.

I do have a return period, and that will allow me to do some additional investigation.

Thanks again!

Other:   Fender Strat HSS, MIM (~2012), Taylor 614ce (2011), Taylor 315ce (2010)

#7 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

My advice would be to stick with what you have.  If you are using the L3t's mainly to amplify vocals and guitars.  If you are going to run bass and drums through it I would recommend adding an L3s at some point.  I don't want to start any arguments over whether or not the Line 6 speaker match up to this speaker or that speaker, that on it's own has little merit and is likely a matter of taste and needs.  To me the bigger issue is how good these speakers sound with THIS system and how effortless it is to get good sound at every gig in any room.  I'm not sure how much money you can potentially save scaling down but it would have to be worth more than the security of knowing you'll have good sound at every gig. 

You could potentially in scenario 2 and 3 set the speakers up behind you and ring out the feedback before you perform.  I've done this on a few occasions before I got any monitoring system and made it work.  I think it'll depend on the venue, and placement of the speakers etc as to how loud you could get the system.  I managed to get it pretty freakin' loud but your mileage may vary.  I just thought I would throw that out there in case you wanted to experiment with this.

#8 egkor

egkor

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:43 PM

Hi @litesnsirens,

I want to keep the system Line 6 for at least what I've managed to assemble at this point (m20d and 2x L3t).

Your and others' posts are helping me choose to keep it that way, justification as you mentioned in your post.

Thanks for posting, it is good insight and information!

#9 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:15 PM

You won't find an easier, better sound than the m20d and the l3 series speakers. You will find a satisfying sound, but not the "wow" sound you will get with the line 6 speakers and the m20d. And you will need NOTHING else for sound. No external eq, FX, processor. Nothing. And you will have GREAT sound.

#10 egkor

egkor

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:50 PM

You won't find an easier, better sound than the m20d and the l3 series speakers. You will find a satisfying sound, but not the "wow" sound you will get with the line 6 speakers and the m20d. And you will need NOTHING else for sound. No external eq, FX, processor. Nothing. And you will have GREAT sound.

Thanks @Digital-sound!

I've learned a lot reading your other posts about the system.

Thanks to all the positive replies, I'm at the point now where I intend to march forward with the m20d and 2x L3t.

Thanks again to all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users