#1 vilo1968

vilo1968

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Hello Friends.

I'm using my POD HD500 connected to a stereo power amp (clone of the power of a Randall Century 200), with a 4 x 12 cabs with Celestion speakers seventy/80.

This stereo power amp "Colours" signal much as it produces a very sharp and scoop sound.

What power amp do you recommend to use with POD HD500? Valves or solid state?? What brands and models?

I'm a guitarist in a band of modern metal.

Thank you very much from now.

Pdt. Excuse my English

#2 radatats

radatats

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • LocationOrange County, NY

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

I use a Rocktron Velocity 300 into a pair of old Peavey 15" PA speakers or into my own 2X12's with Celestion V-30's and Emminence Guvnors.  Sounds awesome but heavy to lug around...

Picture4.png

#3 gunpointmetal

gunpointmetal

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

I use a Crate Powerblock in stereo into a 4x12 running stereo out of the POD into the PB's line inputs/effects loop. No coloration from the amp as far as I can tell. I'm using an eight string guitar with passive pickups in drop E (four string bass E!) and I have no problem with clarity or cut. Make sure you're tweaking your patches at volume with the band, and disable cab sims if you're going into guitar speakers. Another thing to note, the classic "metal" sound (mids cut slightly, treble & bass boosted) is recipe for pure disaster in a live setting. My main live patch is with the Rectifier model and the bass is probably at 25-30 with the Mids and highs in the 60s-70s and then presence to taste. I also like to tweak my patches with my head at speaker level and not too far away (its loud, but necessary) so I know what a microphone would be picking up in a live setting, as well. Too many people think their rig sound awesome from ten feet away, but in reality its harsh and brittle and thin because they're basing their tweaks on how it sounds off-center and out of the "beam"

#4 joel_brown

joel_brown

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

I use a pair of Marshall JCM900s into 4x12 cabs.  I think any good tube amp into a good guitar cab would work fine.

#5 scottyo78

scottyo78

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

I hereby second the Crate Power Block.  :D

I'm not a Crate fan per say, but these came highly recommended and when they went on sale as being discontinued, I snagged one. I've had it for 8 years with no problems at all... it's very clean, loud, bullet proof and compact (nice for traveling).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: power amp, solid state, valve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users