Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah pedal settings

spawn2031

So I am posting this hoping that someone might share some knowledge or a link on how to get a nice warm wah sound from the 500x.  I know the pedal is calibrated correctly but whenever I try to set one up, I end up with something that sounds pretty harsh.  I am trying to achieve a wah sound that is reminiscent to Alice In Chains on Face lift.  Particularly "It Aint Like That".

Thanks

Here's a patch that I use for one of my songs that might work or be close as far as wah. It uses a vettah wah in combination with a q-filter with the expression pedal controlling parameters from each. Q-filter: freq, q, and mix. Vettah wah: position and mix. If it doesn't work or comes close, messing about with the exp controller params may get you close or even what you're looking for.

Lead-1-7-4-52.zip

I have yet to come across any pre-amp/multi-fx/modeler unit that has a decent wah...

Just for discussion - my GNX3, which is what I've replaced with the 500x, did 3 things (my opinion) better than the HD -

The wah - like the OP here, I prefer a warmer, low end kind of wah.  The GNX parameters were spot on, let me dial in just the range I was looking for.  Not giving up on the HD yet, still tweaking - but I've blown the dust outta my 535Q and put it on deck.

The univibe - the HD's (and M13's come to think of it) have way too much of a.... plateau?  "scoop"?..... at the bottom of the cycle.  Try as I might I can't get rid of it.  GNX was buttah...... smooth and creamy.

Intelligent pitch shifter - something's not quite right with the HD's implementation here, I'd love to see them "finish" it with more of the actual scales as opposed to their little chart "if you want E dorian, set it for "X" xxxxxx).  I've been doing a couple tunes for some time using  the IPS, and switching from the GNX to the HD some notes got changed.  Haven't had time to sit down and side-by-side them, but someone's wrong.....

Still - the HD's overall abilities smoke the GNX, one reason I decided to upgrade my 10 yr old tech.........  But I'd love to see them nudge the modeling on those items....

So I am posting this hoping that someone might share some knowledge or a link on how to get a nice warm wah sound from the 500x.

One thing I like to do with my wah is link both the position and the mix to the expression pedal.  I set position to whatever (0-100, 5-85) and then set the mix to 21-(62-72).  I set the wah to a FS, usualy FS8 to turn on and off.  With it set like this I don't get too harsh of a tone and when it is on it is like a Bad Horsie, on all the time.  At the heel position it has next to no effect on tone so all I have to do is step on it and it is there.  If I don't need it at all I just click it off.

• Upvote 2