4 replies to this topic

#1 EricDellOrco

EricDellOrco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hey so I'm new to home recording and have a Shure SM58 hooked to the ux2. I'm am using garageband for track recording and am having an issue where I can barely hear my mic at full volume without cranking up gain settings on garageband. I have tried messing with the gain knobs on the ux2 but that results in either noise or feedback. I have also tried using the preamps on pod farm 2 without success. Any suggestions? I'm using a MacBook Pro 2012 2.6 GHz

#2 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 June 2013 - 05:11 AM

You are using an XLR-XLR cable, correct?   I am not familiar with garageband, but in most DAWs you have to select the correct inputs from your interface - make sure you have the mic inputs selected and routed correctly (i.e. mic 1 > track 1, etc.)

You mention feedback - you should have any monitor speakers you are using turned off when using a microphone (use headphones to listen to prerecorded tracks and to monitor what you are recording).

#3 EricDellOrco

EricDellOrco

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 11:17 AM

Yes I am using an XLR to XLR. The inputs are correctly selected I can hear the mic. The Issue is that I have guitar tracks in my project that were recorded using the ux2 and the mic track is inaudible when I play them together unless I boost the gain. In doing so reduces the clarity of the vocals I recorded. Thanks for the monitoring tip definitely solved that issue!

#4 Triryche

Triryche

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5046 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Did you record the dry track for the mic? If so you will need to add the POD Farm 2.5 plug-in the the track.

This of course assumes you have the PF 2.5 plug-in. If you recently purchased a black faced POD Studio, this would be the case.

#5 fflbrgst

fflbrgst

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1721 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:35 AM

One mistake many people make when first staring out doing computer recording is recording too hot.   Your peak meters should be reading -18dB to -12dB when tracking.

Sounds like you just need to reduce the volume of your guitar playback tracks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users