2 replies to this topic

#1 MitchMunn

MitchMunn

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Just started trying to play a while ago now............so be nice! 

I have a Spider IV 120 amp, FBV shortboard MKII foot control and a LTD Hetfield Snakebite with the Het Set pickups.

It seems to me that every setting is muddy sounding unless I pick very hard.  I cannot finger any notes as they just do not sound through. I have watched some things on the internet with the same amp and they seem to have a lot better sound. 

Do I need to have an interface and POD Farm?  I am aware that the HET pickups are lower in tone but I am not sure if it is them the amp or what...... any help would be appreciated. 

#2 jjack972

jjack972

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 04 June 2013 - 08:09 PM

In my experience, muddiness comes from too much bass and not enough mid and/or treble. Try adjusting the EQ on the amp after you choose a preset. You can also adjust the tone knob on your guitar. Typically, all the way counter-clockwise is more bass, and the opposite is more treble.

I have never played through a Het Set, but I do have a guitar with EMG active pickups. To me, they sound smoother and more rounded out compared to other humbuckers. I find it difficult to get the "bite" that I want out of an EMG pickup.

Also, make sure you are switched to the bridge pickup if you are looking for more of a "bite" to your sound.

I hope this helps!

#3 jbailes

jbailes

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

Congrats on getting a snakebyte. Trying to get one of those myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users