Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD 500 sounds very dofferent thru a PA than when USB recording.

drbilldc

Hi Everyone! I know I've seen this topic on here before but can't find it to answer my question.

i have a HD 500 L6 linked to a DT 25 head and Dt 25 cabinet. I'm currently using the full range XLR output on the back of the Dt 25 head running into our mixing board. It sounds just ok. However, if I use the left and right XLR outs or the 1/4" left and right outs on the HD 500 into the board, the tone is completely thin and synthetic sounding and sounds nothing like the original patch.

The BEST tone i've gotten is using the headphone output of the HD 500 to 2 RCA cables into one of the stereo channels on the board, however, this doesn't give me volume control (it's a line source input, RCA jacks)

How can I use the stereo XLR outs into the board and have the full original intended tone?!?!

And I HAVE played around with the output switches near the expression pedal, this makes no difference at all.

Thanks,

Bill

How can I use the stereo XLR outs into the board and have the full original intended tone?!?!

Unfortunately, the short answer is you can't.  If you are using the DT with L6 link, and I am sure you are, the POD automatically switches to Stack Power Amp Output instead of Studio Direct as soon as the DT powers on.  That means while the tone sounds awesome coming through the DT, it sounds like crap coming from the PA.  Your best bet is still going to be using the Direct Out from the DT to the board.  I don't like it either but your only other option is to run the left 1/4 out to the FX return on the DT and manually select the power section of choice using the DT controls and running the POD XLR's to the board, all while keeping the POD in Studio Direct.  Either way is a compromise as you are either optimized for using a guitar cab and speaker or using a PA FRFR setup.  Pick one and live with it... 

Personally I am seriously considering selling the DT and going FRFR all the way simply to avoid all the configuration hassles...  It still sounds great anyways...

Thanks everybody!! I'm am going to go with the mic option as to get that last little missing piece of growl out of the amp.

So.....does anybody know where the cab's sweet spot is?  :D  on azis? off axis? edge of speaker?

On Axis/Off Axis just depends on the sound you want. Either is valid depends purely on the sound you want.

How to find the sweet spot:

1. Turn up the amp so you get some hiss from the amp, patch in gain pedal if needed to get a bit of hiss.

2. Put you mike (staight to the grill for this test, you can do off axis later if you want) to the speaker and move it around on the speaker.

3. You find one spot on the speaker that bump up the level just a bit higher on the mic input channel. Mark that spot, that is your sweet spot. It can be different even for of exactly the same amp/speaker combos. 

• Upvote 1