Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I'm looking for a decent distortion on this spider iv 75 and I can't quite find one.  I read another post where someone had the same issue.

The distortion tends to have an ear piercing tone.  I bought the spider iv 150 and traded it for the 75 because I heard it has a better sound.

(kicking myself for that now.)  but this one is the same.

Now I'm not looking for studio sound out of this amp but something that doesn't pierce and has a little more clarity would be nice.

amp is upgraded firmware(2.0) and i've messed around with near every possibility.

If anyone has a decent heavy distortion and wish to share their settings, id appreciate it.

I've tried it with about 5 guitars and its not the guitar tone.  The old line6 ax2 sounds twice as good imo.

I find the presets on the line 6 can be tinny and thin.

Id suggest,take a preset and tweak the eq on it(bass,mid,treble) and save that.

I noirmally go for bass around 1 oclock,mids around 11 oclock and treble around 3 oclock on the eq

Drive set around 2 oclock and the red metal setting

• 3 weeks later...

I can get it to sound good.  Not great.  I mostly use external Distortion to get what I am looking for.

Jak_e_lee problem is for people like me I want a clean, and a heavy on the same channel.  Give me more space to tones etc.  so using a red metal setting isn't going to work all the time.  

Heaviest distortion probably will be the insane setting but its the eq you gotta turn your attention to.

Do you find that the distortions sound thin as that's what I found but I fine tuned the EQ of the drive,bass,mids,treble and got pretty good results.

http://youtu.be/0LhXLJo70oQ

This is a recording I did a few months back and this is my spider 75 along with my guitar which is an old 80s Aria pro II.

My advice would be get your clean and distorted sounds and save them to 1 sound bank over the 4 channels

This is how it sounds live

http://youtu.be/OrAX54F1LdE

What is your guitar and what pickups are in the guitar?

• 1 month later...

I have the issue of the "piercing tone" right at the end of palmuting power chords.Not on every chord but maybe every 3 - 4 ..Noise gate is active but still no luck. I am comparing the distortion tone from my II vs my IV and the II seems too be the more refined tone when it comes to green insane.....