Photo

jtv alt tuning warble (with audio example)

warble jtv69 alt tunings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fr0sty

fr0sty

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

Ok, this has been bugging me for a while.  I finally got around to recording the warble noise I hear on my jtv 69 when using alt tunings.  This example was recorded direct, with no speakers on during the recording.  I have the current version firmware version installed on my jtv.  I start out with no modeling, using pickup setting 2.  From there I turn on the modeling (spank, standard tuning) and scroll through the various tuning modes (drop d, 1/2 step, drop d flat, one step down and baritone).

I have tried dampening the strings behind the nut as well as dampening the trem spring. The warble remains.  The guitar is tuned to standard using 10 gauge strings. The trem is not floating.  I think the warble/pulse is clear to hear.

Let me know if you hear it to.  

#2 fr0sty

fr0sty

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Now with the audio file

Attached Files

#3 jefflynyrd

jefflynyrd

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 05:54 PM

That's the sound I hear and when its an acoustic 12 strings its soooo bad.... unusable feature for me....

#4 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

Is this HD firmware? You're think they'd fix that by now. I thought they made the pitch shifting better.

Edit: Listening to your example, I don't think it's bad at all. When you say warble I thought you meant really bad warble. It's kind of something you have to accept with pitch shifting.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

#5 snhirsch

snhirsch

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationBurlington, VT USA

Posted 13 June 2014 - 03:23 AM

All I hear is a tiny hint of splcing artifacts.  As clay-man points out, this is unavoidable. 

40 years of Rock-n-Roll and proud of it!

PRS Custom 24 (1990) w/ GK-3 Hex PU

James Tyler Variax JTV-69(k) w/ Strat Neck

Roland GR-55 Guitar Synth

QSC K10 FRFR

#6 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5548 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:10 AM

Let me know if you hear it to.

I don't really hear anything... I'm just listening through my computer speakers, not headphones. Nothing is popping out as that bad to me.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#7 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

I have found that sometimes I like the 12 string models and sometimes I think they sound strange.  IMO they are not quite right.  Never have been.

#8 phil_m

phil_m

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5548 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:56 AM

I have found that sometimes I like the 12 string models and sometimes I think they sound strange.  IMO they are not quite right.  Never have been.

They require a light touch, that's for sure. I don't use them all that often, but they have come in handy on occasion. My band was in the studio last year, and we had a song where we thought a 12-string part would work well, so I pulled up the Ric 12-string, and recorded it, and I thought it ended sounding great. I was actually kind of surprised with how well it turned out, to be honest.

Time is a train
Makes the future the past
Leaves you standing in the station
Your face pressed up against the glass

#9 fr0sty

fr0sty

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Thank you all for taking to time to listen and reply. To me, the problem is most noticeable on the 1/2 down example.  There is a noticeable pulsing, similar to the sound you heard when tuning using harmonics.  

I normally use 9's on my guitars, but thought I would try 10's since that's what line 6 ships the jtv's with.  When I did that, I now notice the noise on the 5th and 6th strings. I only heard it on the low E prior.  I plan on trying 8's to see if that makes any difference.

#10 clay-man

clay-man

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

That warble is nothing. 

The only question I have is is the warble when doing hammer ons and pull offs on the high frets still so bad that it plays a different note than you're playing still?

This is a problem I have on my Variax, did they fix that in the HD firmware? I really need an answer for this please.

For a minute there, I lost myself.

Radiohead_bear-728286%5B1%5D.png 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: warble, jtv69, alt tunings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users