Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI Mapping LINE 6 POD 2.0 Controls & Floorboard For Use in Ableton Live 9/Guitar Rig Pro 5

Hello all,

I have a POD 2.0 running firmware v2.2 and controlling it with an an original Line 6 Floorboard:

Floorboard_r17101.jpg

I am trying to map my POD 2.0 Floorboard controls so that I can control parameters in Guitar Rig Pro 5.  I have seen videos and posts on users using the newer Line 6 floorboard models with Guitar Rig Pro but I have no clue on how to do this with the original POD 2.0 Floorboard.

I have my MIDI INs and OUTs connected correctly and Ableton is showing that I am transmitting MIDI signals from my Floorboard.  However, I cannot seem to find the right software to manually map the POD 2.0 MIDI CC#'s so that Guitar Rig Pro 5 can see them.  For instance, when I move my volume pedal on my Line 6 Floorboard, I would like it to control a knob in Guitar Rig Pro 5.  

I have installed Line 6 Edit and Line 6 Monkey which I don't think helped my situation.

Has anyone done anything similar with the original Line 6 Floorboard?  With the amount of POD 2.0's still out there, I'm sure someone has tried to connect their gear with Guitar Rig Pro or Amplitube?  Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

I finally managed to get my Line 6 POD 2.0 Controls & Floorboard to work via Ableton Live 9 into Guitar Rig Pro 5.

(*This method may also work for other discontinued Line 6 floor boards and other guitar software interfaces like Amplitube, etc.)

Here's how:

1) Make sure you have some sort of MIDI interface that connects to your computer.  In my setup, I plug my POD 2.0 into an AKAI MPK49 Keyboard Controller which in turn, connects via USB to my computer.

2) Obtain 2 MIDI cables.  Connect one MIDI cable to the MIDI IN of your POD 2.0 unit and the other end to your MIDI OUT of your MIDI interface.  Connect one MIDI cable to the MIDI OUT of your POD 2.0 unit and the other end to your MIDI IN of your MIDI interface.

3) Connect your MIDI cables correctly.  Check. Re-check. Then double check your re-check.

4) Keep the MIDI mode on your POD 2.0 in the OFF position.  Do not activate it as it makes your Floorboard go dead.

5) DO NOT connect your guitar to your POD 2.0 unit.  Instead, connect your guitar directly to your line in/mic in port on your computer.  You may have to get some adapters to do this but this will allow you to map your wah pedal and volume pedal without them also manipulating the POD's built in volume and wah functions.  This is what I prefer to do since you get the use of both pedals and all buttons to map to Guitar Rig Pro 5.

6) In Ableton Live 9, add Guitar Rig Pro to an Audio track.  Set this track to "In" mode where it has the 3 buttons: In, Auto, Off.

7) In a new MIDI track, select the input/channel that your POD 2.0 is communicating through your MIDI controller.  Also set this track to "In" mode where it has the 3 buttons: In, Auto, Off.

8) In that same MIDI track, set your output to the original Audio track that you added Guitar Rig Pro 5 to before.

9) There doesn't seem to be anyway to manually set your MIDI CC#'s so you have to use the Learn capability of Guitar Rig Pro to find which MIDI control numbers are assigned to which button/pedal on your Line 6 Floorboard or knob on your POD unit.  This is found under Options --> Controller in your Guitar Rig Pro window that can be found by activating your Audio track once again.

10)  Ensure your Line6 Floorboard is in EFFECTS mode, not CHANNEL SELECT mode.  Once you have a CC# show up in your controller, drag the reticule(right beside where it says "New Control") to any button, knob or switch of your virtual amps and effects in Guitar Rig Pro 5.

You have now assigned Guitar Rig Pro controls to your Line 6 POD 2.0 unit and Floorboard which proves that the sky is the limit with what you can do with your older POD 2.0 gear!

If you're feeling adventurous, you could rewire your guitar input to go through your POD 2.0 unit and connect it's output to your computer.  This way you can combine your POD effects with your computer software effects.  However, the MIDI mapping becomes very challenging and convoluted since your pedals will always control your POD effects.  There doesn't seem to be any way to manually change this so you need to work around it.  I don't recommend doing this unless you enjoy frustration or know exactly what you are doing.

*Be aware that most of your POD 2.0's control knobs may be automatically assigned to your Audio tracks' volume control in Ableton Live 9.

Here is a breakdown of what your POD 2.0's knobs and buttons will do by default. (I have not found a way to adjust these settings in Ableton)

KNOBS
==========

OUTPUT LEVEL knob doesn't seem to do anything.

DRIVE knob is mapped to the second track's input level. (Must be an AUDIO track, not a MIDI track)
BASS knob is mapped to your third track's input level. (Must be an AUDIO track, not a MIDI track)
MIDDLE knob is mapped to your fourth track's input level. (Must be an AUDIO track, not a MIDI track)
TREBLE knob is mapped to your fifth track's input level. (Must be an AUDIO track, not a MIDI track)
CHAN VOL knob is mapped to your sixth track's input level. (Must be an AUDIO track, not a MIDI track)
REVERB knob is mapped to your seventh track's input level. (Must be an AUDIO track, not a MIDI track)

EFFECT TWEAK knob maps to MIDI CC01

AMP MODELS knob give you all sorts of MIDI CC codes for each setting.(Some may change your Ableton settings so be careful and save your project before trying them out.)

EFFECTS knob give you all sorts of MIDI CC codes for each setting.(Some may change your Ableton settings so be careful and save your project before trying them out.)

BUTTONS
==========

ARROW UP & DOWN buttons change your GUITAR RIG PRO 5 presets but jumps around sporadically. UP button scrolls up, DOWN button scrolls down but will occasionally skip a large number of presets.  (ie. If you are on the first preset, pressing either ARROW button will select the 26th

preset and go up or down from there and so on.)

SAVE & TUNER buttons map to MIDI CC07. (Which is the same MIDI CC# as your VOLUME Pedal on your Line 6 Floorboard, so you probably don't want to use them.)

NOISE GATE button maps to MIDI CC22.

MIDI button makes everything go dead so keep it OFF.

MANUAL button chooses the first preset(001) in Guitar Rig Pro 5.

TAP(HOLD) button does nothing on it's own.  However, if you hold it down while you switch your AMP MODELS or EFFECTS knobs, you will get even more MIDI CC codes that you can map. (Some may change your Ableton settings so be careful and save your project before trying them out.)

If anyone else has any further info to add, please post.

Edited by johnsmith667