Photo

Pod HD Pro: "Input 1-Guitar // Input 2-Variax" Method??

pod hd pro input 1 input 2 variax guitar boom shaka laka mashed potatoes help me please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Indulger777

Indulger777

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

So I'm currently playing through a Pod HD Pro. I was initially able to find some serviceable tones, but was honestly a tad bit discouraged. Then I found out about the "Input 1-Guitar Inputer 2-Variax" thing and holy lollipop, it worked like a charm. However, I stumbled across a thread from someone stating that using this method also lowers the volume. I tested his observation, and found it to be true. I don't quite remember the specifics, but I think it had to do with the Pod's pre-chain area being 2 mono signals rather than 1 stereo. So when you set input 2 to Variax, the Pod somewhat averages the Input 1 signal and Input 2 signal, and since Input 2 is essentially set to 0, the overall signal is reduced. 

Does anyone have any experience/insight on this matter? Is there a way to get the desired sound of "input 1-guitar input 2-variax" without having the drop in dB? 

thanks!

#2 edstar1960

edstar1960

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1240 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 June 2014 - 03:58 AM

The drop in volume is what gives you the "desired sound" because it is accurately reflecting what happens with a normal guitar into an effect or an amp.  The default setting (input 2 - SAME) on the Pod HD gives you a +6db boost into whatever you have first in the chain - either effect or amp - if you are not using a split path - this does not accurately reflect a normal guitar into effect/amp situation and ends up sending too hot a signal into the signal chain.

If you are using "input 1 - guitar and input 2 - Variax" but wish to boost the volume then you can do so by using one of the EQ models in one of the fx slots at an appropriate point in your signal chain - or you can use the MIXER block to increase volume levels - it really depends what you want to do and what effect or tone you are trying to achieve.  Bear in mind though that if you boost the signal volume at the start of the chain you are probably negating any benefit you had from using the different input settings.

Hope that helps to clarify the situation.

#3 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

... The default setting (input 2 - SAME) on the Pod HD gives you a +6db boost into whatever you have first in the chain - either effect or amp - if you are not using a split path - this does not accurately reflect a normal guitar into effect/amp situation and ends up sending too hot a signal into the signal chain.....

although there r many cases where this "...boost" is welcome....

#4 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:02 AM

...Does anyone have any experience/insight on this matter? Is there a way to get the desired sound of "input 1-guitar input 2-variax" without having the drop in dB?...

Hello, I've done a lot of research on this topic and I've written and published several posts on this subject, and I also recorded several audio demos using the single input approach ..

for me it is absolutely the best method ..

what you have already chosen is the right way to follow if you are interested in the following things:

- perception of the real high definition of all the models
-
balanced and realistic response in the different frequency ranges: bass mid treble presence
- response of the drive and of the other controls more or less identical to that of the real objects modeled
- be able to get clean or definited crunch sounds with some models with whom otherwise would not be possible, and instead it should be, for example with the Vox AC 15
- very low noise
- the absence of possible digital clipping
- no unwanted exaggerated compression
- sound quality of the models comparable to the 11R and the Axe-Fx
- very sensitive response to the touch

IMHO the default setting of the inputs
(I believe unintentionally) is not a good way to boost the input sound level, is a bit like a singer singing in 2 microphones, and sending both signals in the same channel of the mixer.. would you do that?.. not me for sure

to compensate the
output volume drop in the single input approach, there are some good and controllable ways:

- turning up the amp model output volume
- putting the pan controls to center
- raising the levels of A and B in the
mixer block

to boost instead the input level and therefore affecting in a controllable way the response of the subseguent models you can use:

- EQ FXs

- booster

- compressor

- overdrive

IMO all the described solutions above here are much better than leaving the default inputs setting

I hope I was helpful

#5 JTSC777

JTSC777

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:33 AM

I just bought and started using an HD500 and made this a global setting and I can tell you that this thing sounds great period! Really digging it and it will soon replace my Boss GT10 which will become my backup.

#6 jandrio

jandrio

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

@JTSC777: welcome on board !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pod hd pro, input 1, input 2, variax, guitar, boom shaka laka, mashed potatoes, help me, please

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users