Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What are the recommended settings for an L3m

My rig consists of JTV59 - VDI cable - HD500 - L6 link - L3m. I am getting some fantastic tones and am really pleased with the set up but I have only had the L3m for a few weeks and wonder whether the tone could be EVEN better.

I have the speaker mode set to 'electric guitar', output mode set to 'studio/ direct' and the physical switch on the top of the HD500 in the line position. My amp blocks are all full amps rather than pre. Are these the recommended settings or is there something else I can try? 

I should be happy with the sound I've got but, hey, I'm a guitarist and therefore never satisfied!!!

Any comments greatly appreciated.

I think that in general, the HD500 studio/direct output mode with a FULL amp model, including a mic/cab selection, and the physical switch set to Line might be best paired with the L3m in PA/Reference mode. This emulates a studio/gig situation where you would mic a physical guitar amp and route to the DAW/PA/mixer. You could certainly try that.

With the L3m in electric guitar mode, you might try using a PRE amp model on the HD500 (no mic/cab selection) and the physical switch set to Amp. In this case the L3m emulates the cab; the setup is similar to using just the power section of a regular guitar amp (the HD500 is the preamp) so you don't need any mic because you're listening to the cab output directly. Try that setup and compare with the former.

But in the end there's no 'right' setup. It boils down to what sounds best to you. Experiment with all the different combinations; you'll find out what you like best.

• Upvote 1

I think that in general, the HD500 studio/direct output mode with a FULL amp model and the physical switch set to Line might be best paired with the L3m in PA/Reference mode. You could certainly try that.

With the L3m in electric guitar mode, you might try using a PRE amp model on the HD500 (no mic/cab selection) and the physical switch set to Amp. In this case the L3m emulates the cab; the setup is similar to using just the power section of a regular guitar amp (the HD500 is the preamp) so you don't need any mic because you're listening to the cab output directly. Try that setup and compare with the former.

But in the end there's no 'right' setup. It boils down to what sounds best to you. Experiment with all the different combinations; you'll find out what you like best.

Sounds like good advice to me. Thanks for the quick response, I'll give your suggestions a try.

• 3 months later...

I am a little late to the game here as I am a long time line 6 user who just played his last gig with his Mesa Roadster and just purchased the L3T/Pod Hd500x combo. I find (this being my personal opinion and sense of hearing) that using line 6 link with L3T in guitar mode and the pod output to combo pwr amp, using the amp "pre" sound the closest to my lost tube friend in response and the right "guitar" frequencies. I have read how some people find it bright or boxy sounding but I find it sounds closer to a true am in real life loud situations with a band than the more ear friendly "bedroom" settings that are pleasing in the bedroom or for recordings but get lost in real band situations. I know for a fact that if you take your real life guitar amp settings you use in a live situation with a full rock band and turn the volume down to practice level the sound isn't exactly inspiring compared to pushed power amp tubes working in conjunction with preamp tubes in all their glory. I am truly looking forward to the result this Saturday. Just my thoughts and experiences. I do have to say so far tone building I have had my most successful results by keeping it simple. .. making a patch based in what I would use in real life situations using the same principles I would use with my tube amp experiences. So I say kudos to line 6 for finally giving us weekend warrior guitar players the tools to go from hard rock band to acoustic patio gig with the same rig and making the sounds and tweaking even closer to their real counterparts.

I have found that to me it sounds best with the POD set to Studio/Direct (so that the power amp, cab, and mic modeling come into play) and P.A./Reference on the speaker.

I have not found any other settings that sounds better and it has the advantage of being able to tweak the power amp, cab, and mic settings.

-Max

in answer to my own post, I have now had the rig for around 4 months and this is what I have found, with help from you guys on the forum on various threads

• POD set to studio/direct
  • L2m set to electric guitar mode with volume in the 'notch' position at 12 o'clock. Use the POD volume as master.
  • Usually, but not exclusively, full amp models. This goes against what should work. My understanding is that if in electric guitar mode you should use the pre models as the L3m is emulating a cab. Occasionally I find the pre models sound better, mainly on the cleaner amps.
  • Acoustic guitar mode on the L3m when using acoustic models on the JTV (obviously). A little reverb and compression and it's good to go. 

That's my take on the set up but as many posters have said in the past, there is no 'right' way to set up. It's what sounds best to your ears.

Thanks for all the input, it has really helped.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi i agree with this