#1 zaphodboy

zaphodboy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

My rig consists of JTV59 - VDI cable - HD500 - L6 link - L3m. I am getting some fantastic tones and am really pleased with the set up but I have only had the L3m for a few weeks and wonder whether the tone could be EVEN better.

I have the speaker mode set to 'electric guitar', output mode set to 'studio/ direct' and the physical switch on the top of the HD500 in the line position. My amp blocks are all full amps rather than pre. Are these the recommended settings or is there something else I can try? 

I should be happy with the sound I've got but, hey, I'm a guitarist and therefore never satisfied!!!

Any comments greatly appreciated.

#2 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11422 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:30 AM

I think that in general, the HD500 studio/direct output mode with a FULL amp model, including a mic/cab selection, and the physical switch set to Line might be best paired with the L3m in PA/Reference mode. This emulates a studio/gig situation where you would mic a physical guitar amp and route to the DAW/PA/mixer. You could certainly try that.

With the L3m in electric guitar mode, you might try using a PRE amp model on the HD500 (no mic/cab selection) and the physical switch set to Amp. In this case the L3m emulates the cab; the setup is similar to using just the power section of a regular guitar amp (the HD500 is the preamp) so you don't need any mic because you're listening to the cab output directly. Try that setup and compare with the former.

But in the end there's no 'right' setup. It boils down to what sounds best to you. Experiment with all the different combinations; you'll find out what you like best.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#3 zaphodboy

zaphodboy

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:37 AM

I think that in general, the HD500 studio/direct output mode with a FULL amp model and the physical switch set to Line might be best paired with the L3m in PA/Reference mode. You could certainly try that.

With the L3m in electric guitar mode, you might try using a PRE amp model on the HD500 (no mic/cab selection) and the physical switch set to Amp. In this case the L3m emulates the cab; the setup is similar to using just the power section of a regular guitar amp (the HD500 is the preamp) so you don't need any mic because you're listening to the cab output directly. Try that setup and compare with the former.

But in the end there's no 'right' setup. It boils down to what sounds best to you. Experiment with all the different combinations; you'll find out what you like best.

Sounds like good advice to me. Thanks for the quick response, I'll give your suggestions a try.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: l3, dream rig, speaker mode

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users