Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Any hope at all for my Vetta?

POsulli634

I know that original Vetta combo's are a ticking timebomb but I was able to get it fixed last time it died and this time, I was hoping it was the battery.  Replaced the battery thanks to a friend who has some electrical experience and this is what comes up on the screen after working perfectly fine for about 5-10 min.(see picture.)

I really don't want to search to find a new amp and pedals or another modeling amp that I have to find tones to use.  

I don't know if this is what's wrong but, try this. It can't hurt and it is a possibility.  Since in putting in the battery (I just did so myself) quite a few connectors had to be disconnected, maybe one of them wasn't properly connected i.e. seated when they were re connected.  Go back into the amp and reseat all of the connectors that you can. This requires little to no electrical experience. If you're having a hard time with one connector then leave it.  It is probably properly seated.  And turn it on before you put it back into it's Vetta shell. See if it works. If not, go over the connections one more time. If it still doesn't work, then you're back to where you started. If you don't know what seated means, basically, it just means making sure the connector is "pushed" all the way in and all the holes lineup, so to speak. It is often done by disconnecting and reconnecting them.

Thanks for the reply, Brue58ski  We actually disconnected everything when we put the battery in place.  tested the battery connections to make sure the charge was being detected and then re-connected everything.  The amp works perfectly for about 5-10 minutes and then freezes on whatever preset is active at the time.  There is still sound coming out of the amp and it conforms to whatever settings are involved in the preset that is active but you can't change anything and the pedals don't work.  I can power off and power back on and it behaves the same way.  Works for a while and then freezes.

I found some old posts on the Line 6 and other forums where people were able to fix this by re-installing the firmware.  For one person it took 8 tries but it looks like most of the time it worked on the first attempt.

I would either try to find a friend who has a midi interface or buy a M-Audio Midisport Uno from Amazon for $35:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Midisport-Uno-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00007JRBM/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1403898979&sr=1-2&keywords=midi+usb

Then download the Line 6 Monkey for free from their website and try to fix your amp.

The midi interface is good to have in your gear anyhow.

Please do not try using anything but the Uno.  It really is the only device that consistently works with the Vetta.  Once you have the Uno, it really is as simple as downloading/installing Monkey and letting it update your amp.  It also comes in handy for Midi dumps of patches and such.

DarrellM5 and sliding_billy,  I really appreciate your help.  Let me ask you this.  Does it matter that I'm using a Windows 7 machine and will Line 6 Monkey recognize my original Vetta 1 and update it to Vetta 2?   I guess $35 bucks isn't that big of an investment considering if it doesn't work, I'm no worse than when I started.  

I noticed alot of talk about downloading the newest drivers for the Uno, but that was on threads that are now a couple years old.  Should I be concerned about the drivers that come with a newly purchased Uno?  Also, upon exploring Monkey after installation, I noticed that it didn't list any Vetta amps to connect to.  Will this take care of itself when I fire it up while connected to the amp?

Hey, thanks for your help.  As I mentioned, I really would prefer to just keep this amp and continue to use it.  I don't know how long I can continue to keep "duct tape a bailing wire" fixing it, but it's worth the effort.  My only other option is to sell my 1983 Marshall JCM 800 2203 stack and use those funds to replace this amp. 

got the midisport uno, had to mess with the driver software a couple of times but got it to recognize the Vetta through Line6Monkey.  went through the update process twice now and haven't been successful with a complete update yet.  the amp never changes (in the LCD screen) from "Ready for software update" to anything else.  I'll keep trying.

Idiot alert.  Had the midi in and out switched at the amp.  switched them to the correct connection and the update went through without an issue.  I'll now test to see if the amp errors out after a few minutes.  Cross your fingers.

Success !!  The new presets that replaced my old ones suck for the most part but I've been able to identify a couple that I can work with.  thanks for the help, you guys.

That is great news, and as for the backwards in/out it happens all the time with the uno because they are labeled to:in and to:out.

Spoke too soon.  Played in church on Sunday.  It worked fine in the early part of the service.  After sitting for about an hour, went back to play and it was locked up with "Address error" in the LCD screen.  Now I can't decide whether to drag it behind my truck until it disintegrates or drop it off of a fire escape and watch it explode.

you can always try an authorized service center.... they will have access to a much larger database of issues and their corrections...

may be something really simple... or maybe not...

but it's likely worth knowing!