7 replies to this topic

#1 KernalKlink

KernalKlink

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:33 PM

My Spider IV 75 has performed admirably for the last few years but I'm getting the itch for something new. Is the new Spider V coming anytime soon? Does anyone have any info about it being developed or what features might be included?

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15359 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

been rumored for YEARS now... don't think you'll get a definitive answer though... at least not until they are ready to release it.

#3 geppert

geppert

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationRetirementville, Canada

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:37 PM

I would guess .... and this is really a wild assumption on my part with nothing but intuition to run on .... that the Spider Line is done? I think it is the POD and DT Amps for Line 6 now? (again, pure speculation on my part).

I have a Spider IV 120 (practice amp), Spider Valve 212 MKII (great amp but has become a backup option now) and a DT25 Head/Cab which I really love (coupled with a HD500). 

So ... just FYI, have a look into the DT amps and see what you think? More $ for sure, but killer sound. The downside of course, (aside form the cost), is that they don't come loaded with efx like the Spiders. One has to admit that the price point on the Spider IV's was pretty remarkable.

#4 KernalKlink

KernalKlink

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Zap, I hadn't thought of it but I guess that makes sense. The guitar amp business is pretty cutthroat and letting any details out early could give the competition an advantage. I'd just like to know if it's even a product that's in the works.

But, I can understand why they can't do that either. Wouldn't want people to stop buying the remaining stock in favor of waiting for the new model to hit the stores.

Geppert, That would certainly be a strange turn of events. To have the spider line go through four versions and become the #1 selling amps in the country only to be discontinued completely? To cut off the stream of revenue that selling millions of those amps brought in and focus on higher end more expensive model lines that will sell fewer? Doesn't seem to make good business sense and I have a hard time believing that's the case. But, who knows? However, if true, I can certainly believe that Fender, Peavey, and a few other modeling amp makers would be pretty happy to hear it!

Maybe L6 feels they've taken the Spider line as far as it can go and until some significant technological advance comes along they will just leave them where they are. How long was it between the releases of the different Spider series I-IV?

#5 geppert

geppert

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 272 posts
  • LocationRetirementville, Canada

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Geppert, That would certainly be a strange turn of events. To have the spider line go through four versions and become the #1 selling amps in the country only to be discontinued completely? To cut off the stream of revenue that selling millions of those amps brought in and focus on higher end more expensive model lines that will sell fewer? Doesn't seem to make good business sense and I have a hard time believing that's the case. But, who knows? However, if true, I can certainly believe that Fender, Peavey, and a few other modeling amp makers would be pretty happy to hear it!

Maybe L6 feels they've taken the Spider line as far as it can go and until some significant technological advance comes along they will just leave them where they are. How long was it between the releases of the different Spider series I-IV?

I hope you're right.

#6 jbailes

jbailes

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:08 AM

If the spider V is indeed in the works right now, it'll be interesting to see what kind of changes there'll be between the IV and the V. Hopefully, the most significant change will be further improving sound quality.

Attached Files

#7 jak_E_lee

jak_E_lee

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:40 AM

IF...there is to be a spider 5...my biggest gripe with the spider 4 is that i dont find it very user friendly.

I have had mine 18 months and know my way around the settings now but it has taken me that long to get into the comfort zone with the controls.if it was made more user friendly,it would be a hit for sure

but...its still a freakin good amp in spider 4 guise.i prefer to create my own sound patches though rather than use the presets

#8 KernalKlink

KernalKlink

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:22 AM

With the NAMM show kicking off tomorrow I thought I'd resurrect this old thread and see if there is any renewed speculation.

It may be idle talk but there was a comment on this video that L6 will be announcing a new amp at the show...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kGE5SES0pds

Does anyone have inside knowledge they'd like to share?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users