Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi Preset Changes To Amp

dashtrash

I'm loving my HD PRO. The more I learn about it, the more there is to know..

I'm trying to use MIDI to get the POD to change programs on my Fender Cybertwin amp. I can map all the incoming prgram changes from the POD in the amp but the problem arises when changing setlists. For example, selecting preset 1A from setlist 1 gives me the correct amp settins, however changing setlist I still get the same amp preset as before.

I know the POD does virtully all the amp modelling and effects that I need, just trying to see what is possible. Pretty new at MIDI. I'm using the FBV MkII as the foot controller which is great.

thanks all.

That is behaviour by design - Each Set List is a "Bank" in the MIDI world which is an independent set of MIDI Patches to cope with devices having more Patches than the MIDI standard allows.  Within each Set List the HD POD sends Patch Change = 000 for Preset 1A, 001 for 1B, etc.  You can send Bank Change messages to move between Set-Lists.

According to the PDF manual the Fender has:

The presets are organized into 3 banks:
C00-C84 - FENDER CUSTOM SHOP: 85 Premium amp and effects combinations stored in permanent memory.
P00-P84 - PLAYER’S LOUNGE: 85 rewritable presets for your original Amp designs. FENDER CUSTOM SHOP presets are saved in these locations as place holders until you want to change them. These presets can be reset to factory default in the UTILITY Mode.
A00-A34 - YOUR AMP COLLECTION: 35 of the greatest amp circuits of all time, the way they left the factory, stock-equipped.

So it has 3 "Banks" two of 84 Patches (presets) and one of 35. 

FENDER CUSTOM SHOP Bank #01: C00 – C84
PLAYER’S LOUNGE Bank #02: P00 – P84
YOUR AMP COLLECTION Bank #03: A00 – A34

It also says:

Any MIDI program changes contained in bank #00 can be mapped to any preset on the Cyber-Twin. Two of the FX knobs are used to select the values in this menu. The FX LEVEL knob selects MIDI program change numbers 0 - 127 and FX VAL2 selects the target preset for control. Only MIDI program changes in bank #00 will access the MIDI Preset map.

So it doesn't have a Bank #0, but maps MIDI Bank zero to any Present in any of the internal Banks.  

What this means is that the default midi sent by the POD for the same Preset change (in different Set Lists) will always go to the same Patch on the Cybertwin. I don't know about the FBV programming, but the HD500 can be set so that any footswitch can send any Patch Change message you want, 

Personally I would restrict my HD Patches to a single Set List - 64 different virtual Rigs is enough for a single gig isn't it? You might clone that set-list to create for example Full Amp version in one and Pre  Amp only version in another, or Full volume EQ'd and Quiet volumes and do the mapping on the Amp as required.  I actually only have 8 patches that I use regularly anyway but with pedals that get switched in or out, and use of the guitar volume control and pickups to vary the sounds

Thanks Rewolf,

The POD certainly can do 99% of the work, I was more just exploring what was possible as I've never linked multiple MIDI devices other than a simple foot switch. Can I have the global MIDI out as channel 1 and set particular presents to transmit on MIDI 2 so only some selected presets would "talk" to the Fender recieving on MIDI 2?

DT

Can I have the global MIDI out as channel 1 and set particular presents to transmit on MIDI 2 so only some selected presets would "talk" to the Fender recieving on MIDI 2?

Not really: When activating presets on the HD, the device will always send the corresponding MIDI Program Change on the base (global) MIDI channel. BUT you can program the footswitches in every preset to send MIDI commands (e.g. Program Change) on a separate channel. See chapter B-5 in the HD500 Advanced Guide about the MIDI ASSIGN function for details. I don't know if this is usable for you: You could for example programm the FS1 in specific presets to send PCs on channel 2 even so your base channel is set to 1. If you now select one of these presets it would send automatically a PC on the base channel and would have to hit FS1 to send the programmed PC on channel 2.

Thanks Christoph,

That's what i'm discovering. Instead of having a patch for a section of a song and having multiple patches per song and filling a setlist, I'm starting to re-do a lot of presents into one patch with changes within it using the 5-8 instead of ABCD. This will allow more efficient use of a setlist, better use of he global setting and mapping inthe amp with patch changes also from the FS.

Interesting times discovering how to get devices to talk to each other, but I'm reaching the too many choices point.