Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Valve MKII 212 having volume dip issues. Help!

CrucibleOfSouls

I've had my Spider Valve for a couple months now, and today it started to drop in volume randomly, like I had a volume swell pedal hooked up. At first it would fade out to a low volume and then come back up to where it's supposed to be at. Now it stays very low and randomly blasts at full volume. I have to have the master volume at about 11 o'clock to get any decent volume out of it. Then it randomly gets deafening and fades back down. Can anyone help me diagnose this problem? I don't want to have to buy new tubes if that's not the issue.

I does sound like a bad tube to me. Are the tubes all glowing the same color?

You say you've had it for a couple of months - did you buy it new? If so, there's a 90 day warranty on the tubes. If you bought it used, then you'll be on the hook for replacing them. Either way, you're going to need to take it to a service center.

They do all seem to be glowing the same color to me. None of them get dimmer when the volume dips either. Yeah, I bought it brand new. It's not even paid for totally yet. I ordered it in early March, so I think I'm just past the tube warranty. Do you think high humidity could've caused a problem internally? I leave it in an enclosed shed with all of the other band equipment, and it's been very humid lately.

I'm having the same issues with my MKII 212. It started last year not long after I bought it. It was secondhand so no warranty so I tried replacing the power valves and  that seemed to do the trick. It's just started again so I changed the newer power vales from my MkII 112 but the problem is still there. Sorry that's not really much help but I've raised a support ticket and I'll wait and see what happens.

Right, a new development! I was adjusting my tones using Spider Valve MkII Edit and the sound faded and I noticed that it had reduced on the Edit software. I changed the volume via edit, sent to amp, it stayed at that volume for a few seconds and then reduced back down to what it was before I'd changed it. On Edit! So it would appear to be something in the programming, not the valves...

Don't believe it! I've just fixed mine! Make sure that the Channel Volume is up around 12 o'clock. Mine was down at around 8 o'clock, nearly off. I think that it was so low that the amp couldn't make up its mind what volume it should be at. I also reset the factory settings by holding down the A Channel button on the amp when switching on. It then asks if you want to reset the factory settings and then guides you through it. I then reinstalled the firmware with Line 6 Monkey. After that, I reloaded my bundle of presets and 'boom', good as new!

Hope that helps, it worked for me and it sounds like your problem is exactly what I had. Good luck.

• Upvote 1

I have the same problem! first i was the problem with my flextone III, then i bought the spider valve 112, and surprise, the same problem again. I think that is a programing problem. I tried all, reload the program, reload the patches, reload all, and nothing. May be the high humity affect the device, because is my case (south of Chile), but i still haven't found the solution... Line 6 support only said contact your dealer. ah! My dealer could not fix the problem when I sent my Flextone III. BAD NEWS!!!..............

Tengo el mismo problema! Lo más raro es que me ocurrió en dos equipos distintos. Quizás sea un virus o algo así. De lo que estoy seguro es que corresponde a software... El dealer no lo pudo arreglar, entonces tengo un Flextone III y un Spider Valve 112 que son basura...

• 2 years later...

I just got my spidervalve 212 2 days ago and im trying to figureout how to set my volume levels for dif channels i hav some thats really low and aome that are crazy loud no matter what the master or channel volumes are on any help on how to set them would be greatly appreciated

• 3 months later...

Unfortunately, channel volumes below 11 or 12 o'clock can cause digital confusion.  Keeping channel volumes up, however, requires the MASTER volume knob to be turned down for moderate overall volume levels, and sometimes THAT'S a problem also.  Be aware the CHANNEL volume is saved for EACH separate saved tone, while MASTER volume is always in effect, regardless of tone.  Once you get a few tones where you want volume-wise, tweak channel volume for the others to match.  Took me quite a bit of fiddling, but eventually I got things the way I wanted, and I use just about all 36 slots on my SV Mk1.