Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What's best with Stagesource: Full power or half power?

The last times we used the stagesource system we put them on half power (knob at 12 o'clock). While our rehearsel we got enough volume, but yesterday at our open air event (yes this is the event our L3S broke) half power was a little bit under powered. We did not try to power the system up, because the failure of the L3S......

Has anybody tried to run the sytem at full power with high output on the stagescape? What happens with the sound at such a high output? Distortion? Working limiters?

Greetz from germany

Half is what is recommended. More if the event calls for it. Just watch the limiter. It will tell you. Likely with the speakers on full, and the stagescape turned loud enough, you will get some clipping I think. I personally have not needed to the speakers past half, and have not tried it either.

Half way on the control is not half power. You have to understand that the position of the sensitivity control does not affect the potential maximum output of the speakers. It simply aligns them gain-structure wise.

Do yourself a favor ... Set them to half and then if you need more output just turn up the mixer. By doing it this way at the point that maximum power is reached you will have the lowest hiss and noise in the system. You also will be in the proper place in the mixer for any of the compression settings in the factory presets.

I have some new video tips that should be online tomorrow with a trick to make your system "louder" if that's what you want. Check back tomorrow and I'll post a link.

This forum is very very fast, i like it.

When you use the stagesource, setting the knob at 12 o'clock, what was your maximum on the main output of the stagescape?

0 db or above it?

Video tips? Sounds cool, thinking you show us how to set limiters and compressors, for louder sound but perhaps less dynamic. I will like it

Sometimes fast ... Sometimes not :)

Setting the max output on the mixer is not specifically any number. It will depend on your material and your dynamics. But you can drive it into the red and then back down a little with most material.

I've played a "baseball diamond" sized outdoor venue with 2xL3 and 2xL3S.  For anything in the "infield" it was plenty loud.  If you were in the "outfield" it was loud enough to hear but plenty comfy to carry on a conversation (according to our soundman).

I know sometimes it might be the input level you're getting from your mic'ed instruments.  As proof, I typically have NO problem getting VERY loud from pumping music direct into the aux input.  I've never heard Rush Moving Pictures sound as good as through my L3's.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure it was in the notch at 12 o'clock.  I wasn't running sound then.

When I first had the system, we ran them higher than 12 and it didn't sound good and we had feedback problems.

Now we always run at 12 and it's still plenty loud.

If you have problems getting volume out of certain things, I usually have found it's input level to the mixer that might be causing the problem.

As a test, see how loud you can pump recorded music through the aux with the speakers at 12.