Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line6 Spider Valve 212, replaced all tubes, no sound

Musik101

Ok so a few weeks ago my amp started making popping noises so I decided to replace the tubes. Both sets of tubes were replaced with the recommended tubes stated in the manual. Upon firing up the amp and letting it warm up for 10 or so minutes I kicked the standby switch off and the amp made one pop and then no sound at all came out. I've checked the 2 known fuses that I know of and they are fine. Soooooooo what is going on??? Why am I not getting any sound?

Thanks much,

CF

Nevermind. I found the issue. There was an internal fuse that blew. I replaced the fuse. All is fine now. :)

Nevermind. I found the issue. There was an internal fuse that blew. I replaced the fuse. All is fine now. :)

These aren't fixed bias amps like Mesa Boogies so they need to be set to a certain bias. Unless you're really adept at that stuff a tech needs to set the bias according to the Line 6 SpiderValve specs. I'm pretty sure it's +/- 35mV.

You can probably run it the way you have it temporarily and it will work for a short period of time but you will most likely burnout those tubes really fast with the voltage being unequal on them or worse yet blow the power transformer. Just something to think about. Just thought I'd mention it.

• Yes, you are correct. I rebiased the tubes as well. I actually tried that first, but that's how I figured out that there wasn't any voltage going to he tubes, then I spotted the blown fuse and replaced it and then rebiased the tubes. :)

After reading several topics in this forum about the tubes in these amps, it seems you only need to re-bias the amp if you try a different type of tube. If you replace tubes with the same type that was previously installed, no need to re-bias correct?

wrong... always re-bias if changing power tubes... preamp tubes you can change freely with no bias required.

After reading several topics in this forum about the tubes in these amps, it seems you only need to re-bias the amp if you try a different type of tube. If you replace tubes with the same type that was previously installed, no need to re-bias correct?

• Upvote 1