Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is the Vintage Preamp EQ supposed to clip?

astillandsmall

Hey all,

I wanted to use the Vintage Preamp EQ to try and give the analoge 'warmth' effect on my tone but so far, I'm hearing very odd clipping. I don't have the unit in front of me now but at the top of my head, I have it at :

GAIN : 50

OUTPUT : 75

PHASE : 0

LP : 100Hz

HP : 5Khz

I have it at the end of my chain right after the mixer. Without it, the amp model I'm using sounds fine. I have its volume at 70, not pushing anything in the amp/cab's DEP as hard and it's a fairly simple chain, with a tuberscreamer to the amp. Any idea why it would clip so much?

Except...its a MIC preamp model, suggesting that one could put it AFTER a microphone simulation to give the effect of a mic'ing a cab through a vintage board.....

but it clips way, way, way to easily in that configuration, and I'm pretty sure it was only stuck in there intended for use with an actual microphone...

I actually measured the gain and frequency response of the Vintage Preamp EQ and you can find them here. As you can see, for the signal level I was using (-20dBFS), I got clipping above Gain = 60% (when Output = 50%) or Output = 90% (when Gain = 50%). So, yes, it will easily clip but this is part of the model. It is not nasty digital clipping (all my graphs show the output remains well below 0dBFS).

• Upvote 1

What's with the weird extra beat during the riff just before the "oh yeah" part? Throws the whole groove off. Tone is fine, but that beat skip part blows the groove.

check out this tone:

http://line6.com/customtone/tone/408465/

it migtht provide u with ideas abt it's usage.

it uses 4 preamps, no amp.

sound sample on this vid...

What's with the weird extra beat during the riff just before the "oh yeah" part? Throws the whole groove off. Tone is fine, but that beat skip part blows the groove.

cld u pls specify which position (sec) this extra beat skip is?

Some classic sounds didn't use a guitar amp at all, and would deliberately clip the pre-amp to get the right sound.

Then is there is the Rolling Stones on Jumping Jack Flash where Acoustics had a mic shoved in the soundhole then fed through the preamp of a Phillips Tape recorder and out to the speaker which was then miked and recorded.

Or Gary Moore's solo sound on Sarah where it was just a distortion pedal direct into the desk (I heard this on a radio interview say that Toni Visconti the producer wanted this).

• Upvote 1

cld u pls specify which position (sec) this extra beat skip is?

Between the verse and the "oh yeah..oh yeah" part. Clear as day. Count 1,2,3,4 over and over. Not knocking it or anything, just a pretty jarring count.

Not sure if one guy in the band taught the rest the song and none of them actually listened to it or if it was done because the actual riff at that part is kinda syncopated and maybe tricky to coordinate for everyone, but it sure got my attention.

• Upvote 1

The Beatles' "Revolution" is the same principle. Jack it straight into the board and go.

Some classic sounds didn't use a guitar amp at all, and would deliberately clip the pre-amp to get the right sound.

Then is there is the Rolling Stones on Jumping Jack Flash where Acoustics had a mic shoved in the soundhole then fed through the preamp of a Phillips Tape recorder and out to the speaker which was then miked and recorded.

Or Gary Moore's solo sound on Sarah where it was just a distortion pedal direct into the desk (I heard this on a radio interview say that Toni Visconti the producer wanted this).

• Upvote 1

Between the verse and the "oh yeah..oh yeah" part. Clear as day. Count 1,2,3,4 over and over. Not knocking it or anything, just a pretty jarring count.

Not sure if one guy in the band taught the rest the song and none of them actually listened to it or if it was done because the actual riff at that part is kinda syncopated and maybe tricky to coordinate for everyone, but it sure got my attention.

ok, i got u.

the song consists of 4/4 measures n' 6/4 ones.

we simply "cut" 2/4, that's why u CORRECTLY mention there is a missing beat.

it's a simple mod we applied 2 our cover version of black dog.

my respects 2 ur musical "sensorineural" !

Only noticed because I play it too and do it like the album. Just threw me for a loop.

ok, i got u.

the song consists of 4/4 measures n' 6/4 ones.

we simply "cut" 2/4, that's why u CORRECTLY mention there is a missing beat.

it's a simple mod we applied 2 our cover version of black dog.

my respects 2 ur musical "sensorineural" !

• Upvote 1

No. Our band doesn't play it. It's just one of those tunes I've learned over the years. You know what I mean? I think everyone has that song library that they've learned whether or not they ever intend to play it live. I generally don't try to imitate others tones. I just make my own that I like. I've only ever posted 2 on customtone and neither one of them are anywhere near my current versions of them anymore.

Got a gig at a private party on the 4th that I'm pretty excited about. First time using my 500x live after my singer busted my 500. Used that extra DSP for some tweaking of my current tones and made some new ones. Should be fun. I'll try and post some vids if they turn out alright. I'm not very happy with our current YouTube videos so we need some new stuff.

do u have any zep sound samples from ur band?

any other patches 4 black dog-stairway?