Photo

testing...testing

Best Answer Brazzy , 03 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

I know from experience that a resistor or even a fuse can look and measure good but be bad when it heats up.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

can i measure voltage in a tube amp with the speakers disconnected? power tubes removed? one tube in the right output is glowing almost as bright as a light bulb. it's a stereo amp so i believe i can compare left and right and come to some conclusion. there is a resistor that looks a bit like it was overheating but measures correct resistance, i thinking when it's on, it breaks down...possible? the amp still works for a minute then the tube starts glowing and then the amp makes random popping/crackling sounds.

in the attachment, the tube that;s glowing is v7 in the output section page 1. the resistor is r116 on page3.

thanks for looking, frank

Attached Files

I'M SO HAPPY!

#2 hurghanico

hurghanico

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

mr archimede be careful not to hurt yourself with your hazardous experiments ;)

#3 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:50 AM   Best Answer

I know from experience that a resistor or even a fuse can look and measure good but be bad when it heats up.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "SoundCloud Playlist" "And Ya Know It"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

#4 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

thanks, you guys, for responding. i'll try replacing that resistor, brazzy. and thanks for the warning, hurghanico.  ;)

I'M SO HAPPY!

#5 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2778 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

well as usual i lollipop up. all this time i've been going back to the amp every now and then. checking lollipop. of course the first thing i did was swap tubes from one position to another...same lollipop. finally decided to bring it to a well recommended tech. jim walton's his name. in the philly area. google him. hell, i thought, one more search on google, a few more checks. swap some tubes and if still no luck i'll call him today. turns out when i swapped tubes the first time i put the exact same lollipop tube back in the exact same lollipop socket. off to get a set.

I'M SO HAPPY!

#6 Brazzy

Brazzy

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

well as usual i lollipop up. all this time i've been going back to the amp every now and then. checking lollipop. of course the first thing i did was swap tubes from one position to another...same lollipop. finally decided to bring it to a well recommended tech. jim walton's his name. in the philly area. google him. hell, i thought, one more search on google, a few more checks. swap some tubes and if still no luck i'll call him today. turns out when i swapped tubes the first time i put the exact same lollipop tube back in the exact same lollipop socket. off to get a set.

Hate when the lollipop falls in the dirt, lol. I just replaced the tubes in my DT50 the original tubes got to the point where they would work for 10-20 minutes and then just stop glowing. My first experience with bad tubes. I guess they would heat up and something inside would lose connection shutting the heaters off. Then I would let them cool down for a long while and they would repeat that cycle for a while before they just quit all together.

I mostly play at home  and am always having fun learning how to play guitar so when I post a reply to try and help give ideas you know where I'm coming from. Rock-On!! Oh, and if I don't respond promptly I'm probably playing guitar or my computer locked up from multitasking 'cause I'm using Gear Box, HD500 Edit, Audacity and tab filled browsers all at the same time, Hahahaaaa. Surprisingly enough my 'puter handles the load more times than not. Lastly I'm not a salesman, I'm not trying to sell anyone anything here. "Riffcasts Riffworld" "RiffRumble Entry" "Shifftie" "M.O.S.U.A Two" "Bass Catszz" "Blasted Runtime Error I" "Match 30" "SoundCloud Playlist" "And Ya Know It"

DT50_and_DT9901.pngStrat_X3Pro.pngBerm.pngThe_Arsenal.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users