Photo

testing...testing

Best Answer Brazzy , 03 July 2014 - 06:50 AM

I know from experience that a resistor or even a fuse can look and measure good but be bad when it heats up.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts
  • Locationphilly
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:02 AM

can i measure voltage in a tube amp with the speakers disconnected? power tubes removed? one tube in the right output is glowing almost as bright as a light bulb. it's a stereo amp so i believe i can compare left and right and come to some conclusion. there is a resistor that looks a bit like it was overheating but measures correct resistance, i thinking when it's on, it breaks down...possible? the amp still works for a minute then the tube starts glowing and then the amp makes random popping/crackling sounds.

in the attachment, the tube that;s glowing is v7 in the output section page 1. the resistor is r116 on page3.

thanks for looking, frank

Attached Files

I'M SO HAPPY!

#2 Brazzy

Brazzy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2271 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.
  • Registered Products:16

Posted 03 July 2014 - 06:50 AM   Best Answer

I know from experience that a resistor or even a fuse can look and measure good but be bad when it heats up.

#3 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 03 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

thanks, you guys, for responding. i'll try replacing that resistor, brazzy. and thanks for the warning, hurghanico.  ;)

I'M SO HAPPY!

#4 toneman2121

toneman2121

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts
  • Locationphilly

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

well as usual i lollipop up. all this time i've been going back to the amp every now and then. checking lollipop. of course the first thing i did was swap tubes from one position to another...same lollipop. finally decided to bring it to a well recommended tech. jim walton's his name. in the philly area. google him. hell, i thought, one more search on google, a few more checks. swap some tubes and if still no luck i'll call him today. turns out when i swapped tubes the first time i put the exact same lollipop tube back in the exact same lollipop socket. off to get a set.

I'M SO HAPPY!

#5 Brazzy

Brazzy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2271 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.
  • Registered Products:16

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

well as usual i lollipop up. all this time i've been going back to the amp every now and then. checking lollipop. of course the first thing i did was swap tubes from one position to another...same lollipop. finally decided to bring it to a well recommended tech. jim walton's his name. in the philly area. google him. hell, i thought, one more search on google, a few more checks. swap some tubes and if still no luck i'll call him today. turns out when i swapped tubes the first time i put the exact same lollipop tube back in the exact same lollipop socket. off to get a set.

Hate when the lollipop falls in the dirt, lol. I just replaced the tubes in my DT50 the original tubes got to the point where they would work for 10-20 minutes and then just stop glowing. My first experience with bad tubes. I guess they would heat up and something inside would lose connection shutting the heaters off. Then I would let them cool down for a long while and they would repeat that cycle for a while before they just quit all together.