Photo

Setup advice for POD HD500X / Feedback Issues?

hd500x feedback settings metal thrash death djent

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nervesaw

Nervesaw

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

Hello,

I've had the Pod HD500X for a few months now and I'm still not sure whether I'm using it properly. I'm finding that I'm getting quite a bit of feedback out of my amp at a high volume in band rehearsal and live settings.

I should say that I'm a very plug-and-play kind of guy. The Pod HD500X is the most complicated piece of equipment that I've ever had to work with and I'm fairly undemanding, so I'm probably making some very elementary mistakes in terms of getting the right balance.

A bit more about my set up:

Guitar (LTD MH417, EMG 81-7 in the bridge) -> POD HD500X -> Carvin TS100 (tube power amp) -> Line6 4x12 (not sure of the model, I bought it with a Flextone head about 10 years ago, has a tweed front).

I've attached my main setting here (we play thrash/death metal), but I have some questions about the switches and outputs. Currently, I have my output set to "Studio/Direct" and my quarter out to "Line". This seems to fly in the face of everything I'm reading, but it seems to be the setting that puts out the most volume and the heaviest sound. Could this be causing a feedback problem? Is it simply too much for the amp to handle? If I should move my output to "Stack Pwr Amp" and my quarter out to "Amp", how difficult would it be to achieve the same sound and volume? If you open the file, you'll notice I have two preamps running with an overdrive. The gain/drive on all three doesn't exceed 40% and I try to keep my treble settings reasonably low enough. There are some extra effects at the end of the chain that I almost always never use except for the reverb.

While I'm pretty happy with the sound I'm getting at bedroom volume, if I crank the Carvin to about 1:00 with the band, I start to get feedback. So what exactly is the best balance of settings, gain and volume to avoid feedback at high volumes when playing this kind of metal with the Pod HD500x? Please let me know if the file doesn't work or if I've attached it incorrectly.

Many thanks in advance!

#2 Nervesaw

Nervesaw

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

Tone uploaded to CustomTone today under the name SwarmDist3-2.

#3 GuitarLoekie

GuitarLoekie

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hello Line6 support,

I have a problem with my POD HD500.
If I use sounds with overdrive or distortion I got feedback when I stop playing guitar.
I tried everything I could find on the forums about this problem but with no solution.

The only solution I have is to change the "Guitar In" switch to turn from POD to Normal but that changing the feel of playing with my solo's, less sustain.

What can I do to fix this problem?

Kind regards,

Dave Janssen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hd500x, feedback, settings, metal, thrash, death, djent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users