Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X as a midi-in interface?

dakomus

Hi,

Just bought an HD500X and was under the impression that it could export the Midi-in port to my software.

I haven't been able to do that and then I realized that it could be used exclusively to control patch changes 

etc. for the POD. So my question is - is it possible to setup so midi messages appearing on midi in are seen 

by the driver? (My use case is that I have a midi keyboard but no (reliable) midi input for the computer and I

would like to use midi to control a software piano (Steinberg, The grand)) Anyone can offer some help?

I'm using a fairly recent Macbook Pro retina display.

Kind regards,

/Daniel

Simplest option it to use a universal USB MIDI interface - dirt cheap.  I have had some success on a PC and it says MacOS is supported:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-USB-to-Midi-In-Out/dp/B000XRI3CC 

I was using it to trigger VSTi.  But the set-up does get a bit messy, and more prone to failure live.  My solution was to buy a better keyboard (Motif XF) that could by itself make all of the sounds I was getting from VSTi... No Computer or MIDI Interface required: much simpler.

I will admit that a MIDI interface for a few £ is very cheap, and a Motif is not (even used), but the laptop isn't that cheap either and is not necessarily designed for life on the stage.

The MIDI jacks aren't seen by the driver, so there's no way to use the HD500X as a MIDI interface for another device like you're describing.

Thanks for the info, Phil. Seems I need to look elsewhere for my MIDI interface need.

@Rewolf:

Checked out the link and that was crazy cheap compared to what I've seen before. However some of the user reviews said 

it didn't manage to process polyphonic chords quickly enough so I think it's best to pass on that specific model. I'll just keep looking. Thanks for the advice, though.