Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

kenthellstrom

I have been playing my DT25 for some time. I have a big issue though. My clean tones sounds really good, but with the more dirty tones it appears that when tweaking the drive it doesn't respond the way it should. I just get some distorsion and not the full range. When running the DT25 in LVM it seems to respond OK when turning the drive knob. But in normal mode it doesn't. It is the same for all of the four different voices. I have also tried with the master knob tweaked to its maximum to get the desired amount of dist. When I compare tweaking the drive knob in the POD HD500 it responds with a lot more distorsion at the same setting. Using the the DT25 connected via L6 link to the POD HD500 shows the same response.

I have anyway managed to get some good tones out of the DT25 connected to the HD500. My way around the problem is to use the full versions and not the pre versions of the amps with DT25 in normal mode. Then the drive response is as expected and the tones are OK in my opinion. However, I know that the tones sound even better when the normal mode is working properly.

I don't know what the problem is but I know my DT25 has been working properly a few days since I got it. I then got the response I expected when turning the drive knob. So my guess is that something is loose and that probably only a properly educated service tech could fix it for certain amount of money, but I am not sure... Does anyone know anything about this?

LVM = low volume mode.

When tweaking the drive knob I don't get the amount of distorsion I expect. At 100% it just gives a more or less crunchy tone. And that concerns all 4 voicings. Running a pre amp model via the POD, with the DT25 in normal mode also doesn't give the expected response . When in LVM or running a full amp model via L6 linked POD HD500 the response is as I expect. 

I expect the drive to saturate my tone with distorsion.

What amp models are you using? I have no issues with some of the amps although it largely depends on the amp modelled.

For instance, with the 'pre' DrZ model, I can't get a great saturated tone with the Dt25 & Hd500. With the Hd500 alone, in 'full' DrZ amp it sounds stonking so I'm guessing the power amp section of the 'full' model creates much of the gain. The same goes for the Vox amps.  

When using the DT25 stand alone I use all the 4 voices, programmed with the amp models that the amp came with (American clean, British crunch, Class A chime, Modern high-gain). They all show the same response, not the amount of distorsion expected.

When using the DT25 with the HD500 I use several more amp models, almost all of them! I play all kinds of music and really enjoy the Line 6 products since I don't need to own a bunch of amps. But the response is the same for all of them, not the amount of distorsion expected.

As I have written before the response is the same also with the master volume cranked, to get that power amp distorsion.

• 2 months later...

Hi there.

I have the same problem with a DT50 212. For example, at voicing 1 (american clean) if i tweek the gain knob, i can´t get the drive sound i want. it maintain the sound clean and clear.

If i pull the Master volume knob and operate at a low volume mode, i can get drive from the american clean,

this happens to me with the guitar plugged straight in the amp. Without POD'S.

This is a normal feature?

Hi there.

I have the same problem with a DT50 212. For example, at voicing 1 (american clean) if i tweek the gain knob, i can´t get the drive sound i want. it maintain the sound clean and clear.

If i pull the Master volume knob and operate at a low volume mode, i can get drive from the american clean,

this happens to me with the guitar plugged straight in the amp. Without POD'S.

This is a normal feature?

American Clean is a Fender Twin...If you have used a twin, you will note that there is no such thing as a drive or gain knob on that amplifier. The way that pre was modeled, the recommended approach would be to dime the channel volume and use the drive like you would the Channel Volume. When you switch to LVM, you are using the FULL model version and you can get decent power section distortion at a lower volume that way, but it isn't preamp gain...

Unless your amp has been updated from the default models, you should be able to get lots of gain from NFL4...That's the dual rec model and that one browns out around 1 oclock for me(I use medium gain passive pickups)...

If you are expecting the drive to behave the same way between models, then that will generally not be the case as they are all different...On some models, even the bass control is actually a gain control...So it might be normal, but then it is really hard to say without actually hearing what is going on for you.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your help. I Already realized that the problem is in me. Lolol.

With the pod hd500x I will get amps with more gain. I already studied the characteristics of the 4 primary voicings. If I need more gain I will add a tube screammer until the pod didn't arrive.

One more time, thank you your help.