Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Long time Spider (II, III and IV) user, new to Spider Valve

jjack972

Hello all,

As the title states, I am a long time user of the Spider family of products. I am about to receive a Spider Valve MKII head I recently purchased, and I have a couple of questions.

1.) Are the custom patches that I have dialed in and saved on my Spider IV HD 150 transferable to the Spider Valve? I do have the FBV Shortboard MKII and Spider Edit software on my computer.

2.) What are the most common problems/issues with the Spider Valve MKII

Thanks in advance for any responses!

jjack972,

1) Having read other posts on the original SV forum, I remember reading the patches don't transfer. You'll have to reprogram. I'm facing the same issue with SVII to POD HD.

2) Mostly related to worn tubes. Lots of discussion here (see original forum as well).

FYI, this SV topic board has much less traffic since Line6 has moved on from SV, so be patient for responses...

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the response, napynap. I figured out that the patches are not transferrable, as they have a different file extension. I had considered renaming a few patches from the Spider IV to the correct extension for the SV just to see what would happen, but I didn't want to brick my amp in the process, so I decided against it.

Unfortunately, you cannot take spider IV patches and transfer them to sv mkII, different file extensions going on over there. 

The only worry I had about this amp is overheating; As with all amps you need some ventilation, but this thing gets overheated quick! I suppose thats what you get when you combine valve power with digital signal processing. 

Just treat her like a delicate flower and she'll purr gig after gig.  B)

-Eric

Thanks man! I actually saw a thread on here somewhere, where someone went to great lengths installing a cooling fan for the DSP chip. I cranked mine for about fur hours straight the other night, with the bass damn near maxed out on both the insane channels and while it did get warm, I noticed no ill effects.

• 2 weeks later...

About overheating, I can only speak for the MKII Bogner 2X12 (not the head). I've done many outdoor shows in the California high desert with dry temps between 90 and 105 degrees, including a recent double booking at the AV Fair from 3pm - 11pm without any failures from the amp. It was solid.

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

I have had (thankfully very few) overheating issues.  Toward the end of one daytime warm-weather gig, my SV Mk1 started cutting out for no reason I could see, which I found was a common symptom of the digital signal processor (DSP) chip overheating.  I decided to attach a heat sink to the delicate chip.  I found an old aluminum nameplate holder in my basement and used a hacksaw to cut off a 1-inch square.  I sanded the flat side as smooth as I could, likewise sanded the top of the DSP housing, applied some good thermal adhesive and stuck that sucker on.  Have not had any trouble since.  Did the same to my SV Mk2, even though it had never acted up.  I can upload pictures; if anyone wants to see them, let me know.

Other than that (and of course not being able to transfer my custom tone settings), I love everything about my SV amps.