Photo

Relay G50 Power Supply

u.s. to australia power

Best Answer RonMarton , 08 June 2013 - 06:23 AM

Lovely part of the World, where you are, isn't it ? ...Now to the matter at hand...

One of those (way overpriced, in my opinion) travel adapters (that simply take the parallel pins of US mains plugs through to the equally spaced, but angled, Australian pins) will indeed run your G50 from the supplied Line 6 plug-pack when connected to our 240v 50Hz sockets.

Sadly, however, not only do those expensive adapters seem bigger than the plug-pack itself, but also it's been my experience that "wall wart" plug-packs have a nasty habit of slipping out of them at the worst possible moments.

Both of those shortcomings can apparently (ahem) be eliminated after about a minute of carefully re-angling the Line 6 "wall wart" pins, using a pair of long-nosed pliers, ...aah, ...er, ...um, according to that anonymous bloke in the pub.

That Powertech supply you've bought seems ideal. For the benefit of other Line 6-ers, the key things to look for in such a "replacement" plug-pack are

1. A regulated output of 9 volts,
  2. A correctly sized output plug that both fits the Line 6 receiver and is polarised to supply negative (-) to the centre pin and
  3. The availability of at least half an amp (500 mA) of smooth and ripple-free DC for the receiver. 

Whatever you end up doing to "localise" Line 6's supplied plug-pack, my policy has always been to have back-up power supplies with me, so I would never consider the relatively small outlay for your Powertech one to be anything but money well spent.

Oh ...and all of us started as "dummies" when it comes to this stuff. (And lots of other stuff as well...)  :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 wolfgang76

wolfgang76

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustralia NSW

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:52 PM

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a G50 wireless direct from the U.S. to me here in Australia.( because it was cheaper by about $130)

I have noticed on the Line 6 transformer it says it accepts power input of 100-240 volts at 50-60Hz.

Here everything runs on 240volts at 50-60Hz. Would I be able to just buy an adapter that plugs in one to change the connection to our 3-pin wall socket?? And would it cause any damage to the relay? 

Or would I have to buy another transformer that just runs on 240v strictly?

Cheers in advance

#2 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:17 PM

G'day from just up the road, mate...

Great news !

(Strictly illegal, so you didn't hear it from me.)

"As it 'appens, yer onner, there are twenty punters at North Ryde RSL wot will swear I was drinkin' wif dem at the time. Wot ever time it were..."

Just use a pair of long nose pliers to (VERY, very carefully and gently) bend the pins on Line 6's supplied US "wall wart" without fracturing its casing.

Do it "piecemeal" until you can get an easy fit into the socket of an UNPLUGGED Aussie extension lead, after which it will work every bit as well (from our 240v 50Hz mains) as mine have done for nearly two years now.

(Or may have done, Your Honour, had I followed the advice of some bloke in the pub, whose name I don't remember.)

To get enough (properly regulated and clean) current the legal way will set you back another $22: http://jaycar.com.au...SUBCATID=1000#3

#3 wolfgang76

wolfgang76

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAustralia NSW

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:23 AM

G'day from just up the road, mate...

Im up at the Blue Mountains, just around the corner up the road aye
Great news !

(Strictly illegal, so you didn't hear it from me.)

"As it 'appens, yer onner, there are twenty punters at North Ryde RSL wot will swear I was drinkin' wif dem at the time. Wot ever time it were..."

Just use a pair of long nose pliers to (VERY, very carefully and gently) bend the pins on Line 6's supplied US "wall wart" without fracturing its casing.

Do it "piecemeal" until you can get an easy fit into the socket of an UNPLUGGED Aussie extension lead, after which it will work every bit as well (from our 240v 50Hz mains) as my nine have done for nearly two years now.

Hmm Im not sure I could do this... or even try it sober... so your saying that using the original u.s. adaptor will work fine here?

I was considering doing that and just buying a universal travel plug, is that a good idea?

(Or may have done, Your Honour, had I followed the advice of some bloke in the pub, whose name I don't remember.)

To get enough (properly regulated and clean) current the legal way will set you back another $22: http://jaycar.com.au...SUBCATID=1000#3

I just bought a similar adapter to this except its 500ma.  its from Jaycar , powertech plus switchmode regulated AC adaptor.

The input and output details are basically the same as the Line 6 (100-240VAC) 50/60Hz.  Im a dummy when it comes to this stuff bahh. 

#4 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1275 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 08 June 2013 - 06:23 AM   Best Answer

Lovely part of the World, where you are, isn't it ? ...Now to the matter at hand...

One of those (way overpriced, in my opinion) travel adapters (that simply take the parallel pins of US mains plugs through to the equally spaced, but angled, Australian pins) will indeed run your G50 from the supplied Line 6 plug-pack when connected to our 240v 50Hz sockets.

Sadly, however, not only do those expensive adapters seem bigger than the plug-pack itself, but also it's been my experience that "wall wart" plug-packs have a nasty habit of slipping out of them at the worst possible moments.

Both of those shortcomings can apparently (ahem) be eliminated after about a minute of carefully re-angling the Line 6 "wall wart" pins, using a pair of long-nosed pliers, ...aah, ...er, ...um, according to that anonymous bloke in the pub.

That Powertech supply you've bought seems ideal. For the benefit of other Line 6-ers, the key things to look for in such a "replacement" plug-pack are

1. A regulated output of 9 volts,
  2. A correctly sized output plug that both fits the Line 6 receiver and is polarised to supply negative (-) to the centre pin and
  3. The availability of at least half an amp (500 mA) of smooth and ripple-free DC for the receiver. 

Whatever you end up doing to "localise" Line 6's supplied plug-pack, my policy has always been to have back-up power supplies with me, so I would never consider the relatively small outlay for your Powertech one to be anything but money well spent.

Oh ...and all of us started as "dummies" when it comes to this stuff. (And lots of other stuff as well...)  :)

#5 shaker

shaker

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

I got a Travel Adapters at The Reject Shop, only a couple of dollars.

I've also powered my G50 with a One Spot power supply with no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users