Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Studio monitor as amp for POD HD 500

getjohnjk007

Hi Guys,

I got a Line 6 POD HD 500. I play mostly live. I usually go POD directly into PA. I used to create patches using another guitar amp which of course colour the tone. For live i had to go the venue and tweak. Its almost like creating a new tone in the venue. I heard a lot discussion about FRFR speakers. I am considering buying studio monitors to create the real POD sound usable for live. So Please help me with the following.

1) Can i connect POD directly to Studio minitors. i.e Guitar to POD xlr L/R out to studio monitor xlr in ? (No mixers or audio interfaces)- No plans of recording currently and want to use studio monitor instead of a real amp. Will it stand the load?

2) Do i need a pair or single one will do for creating patches?

3)Please explain about the settings i need to take care.

I consider studio monitors because i can use it for recording purpose in future also. So I am not considering any keyboard amps or stage monitor speakers now.

Thank you. Please help.

You can, but for live the monitors will struggle in a band. Solo or duo might be okay at small venues.

Powered PA speakers is an option too.

One thing with the POd HD's is that different outputs effect the tone.

It is almost a critism of the HD500's for eg.

You got so many choices that effect tone, on the input within the amps and FX, mixer and outputs as we;; as amp PA or h'phones.

One use of the setlists is the different setups you might need can have a setlist for each.

FR/FR speakers is really kind of a fancy way of saying "speakers that don't change the sound that's going into them that much".  Reference monitors should match that description, but there's a good chance the PA doesn't, so tweaking on reference  monitors doesn't necessarily equte to what  you'll here in the venue.

If you're that concerned about the sound, I would suggest buying a very small, inexpensive solid state amp and micing it. It's only slightly less convenient than going direct, but you'll have that much more control over the sound.  Even then though, what comes out of the PA will NOT be what comes out of the amp.  It may be very close, but it won't be identical.  Even if you physically transported all of the equipment between one room and the next, it won't sound the same, because the room affects the overall sound as well.  And, if you can believe this- that room *empty* will sound different than that room full of people. 

Which leads me to my next point... does the music, band, style, venue, PA and audience merit optimizing  it for the PA ? If you can get a sound you like well enough at home, are you really uncomfortable taking that sound out ?  If  you're playing soft acoustic music on a high end guitar in an acoustically engineered room with a great PA and a great sound person, than I would fret it.  If you're playing loud rock in the same room I would fret it less - the sound guy or gal will help compensate for the room.  If you're playing in a crowded bar, it probably wouldn't matter either way ... just my 2 cents.  I play both through amps and direct, and I use the same patches for all.  Noone's ever said boo to me, and we draw crowds and big cheers, but we're playing fairly raucous rock and roll where honestly, as long as the tone is in the pocket it doesn't have to be perfect.  

• Upvote 1