Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69S - Schematic

For some reason, the magnetic pickups on my Variax JTV-69S are wired for a 3-way Strat config rather than a 5-way config.  Am looking for a schematic for the 69S config so my guitar guy can change it to the 5-way config which will allow me to get the out of phase settings.  Only finding a schematic for the humbucker version of the JTV-69.  Thanks,  --R 

I have the JTV-69S, and it has all 5 switch positions on mags. If you look at the 69 schematic with the HB, basically the wiring is the same, just with the 2 leads of the bridge PU being the single-coil bridge PU. I know, because I swapped out my 3 stock single coils with noiseless DiMarzios, and used the 69 schematic as a reference. That schematic came out before the 69S was made.

Dave

http://www.diyguitarmods.com/guitar-pickups.php

This shows the magnetic and coil phase for standard Strat single coils.  The middle pickup should be magnetically opposite of the bridge and neck and it's coil is out of phase.  This is why the noise should be much less when you select position 2 or 4.  In those positions, the two coils are in parallel and out of phase.  Since the magnets are also out of phase, the pickups are actually in phase with respect to the strings.  BUT the string vibrations are very different at the two pickups so you get the Quack sound.

My guitar guy has the JTV-69S so I'm going off memory but if I recall correctly, this is what's going on:

POSITION 1:  Bridge

POSITION 2:  Middle

POSITION 3:  Middle

POSITION 4:  Middle

POSITION 5:  Neck

You can verify that you only have middle PU on switch positions 2 3 4 by tapping the bridge PU on position 2 with the tip of a screwdriver, and the same with the neck PU on position 4. If you hear it through your amp, you have signal from them. If not, then ditto psarkissian, it'll need some shop time....

Dave

Ditto, davidb7170,... just don't tap on the magnet too hard.

Being the JTV tech here at Line 6, I see this sort of thing every now and then, fortunately not too often.

Just needs a going through by a tech, to check the circuits and contacts, and make sure it's all good in the end.

Got signal on all the correct pickups for the correct switch positions? If not, definitely get her to a Line 6 Repair tech, then. A standard replacement strat 5-way switch won't do, as part of the switch switches the mags, while the other part switches the models, as I recall. Dual row of contacts, I believe.

Dave

Single row of contacts, so don't go trying to replace it with a CRL from Stew-Mac,

that one won't work as a replacement (I get asked that one all the time).

And yes, the Model circuit routine also goes through there to give you your five

versions of Model.

Sounds like time to take it to the local Line 6 authorized tech in your area.

• Upvote 1

psarkissian, thanks a lot for your attention to this one...I genuinely appreciate it.  I appreciate everyone's feedback.  I'm trying to do whatever possible not to have to haul it into a service center as I've not had great success in the past with a previous Variax.  Thanks much,  --Roy