Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

KRK Rokit 6 and HD500x is a muddy, bassy mess.

tkelly426

I use the Rokit 8's and they work nicely so the 6's should be fine too.

I have my POD set to "Studio Out" vs. "Amp" and also use the "XLR" output.

My A.I. is a 'transparent' PreSonus Firewire of which I then use it's "Line Out" to the Rokits "Balanced TRS" input.

As the Rokits also have XLR inputs, I'd bet the XLR to XLR connection would be a bit better/cleaner.

Once you have the basics of outputs and connections setup and optimized, look at the CAB DEP parameters to clean up that muddy tone.  For me that often works well without having to make excessive tone stack changes or additional EQ...

If the monitors are on a desk they'l sound worse than tubby.

So too if too close to room corner.

Any monitor will sound best up on a solid stand out from the rear and side walls. 

This also goes for guitar amps and cabs.

Bass trapping in the corners of the room is always, ALWAYs a good idea.

It is important that your room is not coloring the sound your getting to tape or DAW.

You probably know this. 

I too use roket 6's for tracking and the low end is not the problem. I find the HD500's shrill is to my ears anyway. I record via s/pdif.

I do notice a big bump in boominess when using USB as interface.

The low end is tubby at best on the Rokets but they are affordable and better than none. The room treatment is vital for good mixes that'l translate to other listening environments.

Getting the room right is time and money well spent

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest breakthrough for me with getting the cabs to sound clear is to turn resonance down, or off. At the default setting of 50%, the differences between the various cabs and mics seem greatly over-exaggerated, with cabs like the XXL being pretty much unusable. With resonance at anything from 0-10% the difference for me has been night and day.

Some other tips you might want to look into for rhythm patch creating is to cut some of the bass before it hits the amp. Typically a rhythm patch for me goes something like:

Tube Screamer (Drive 10%, Bass 35%, Treble 50%, Tone 70%) -> Noise Gate (Decay 10%, Threshold, varies) -> Amp

I find this way that I can get away with having a bit more bass in the amp itself (which gives the cab a bit of body) without it being fuzzy or messy. Obviously a lot of this is also going to depend on your particular guitar/pickups/playing style/etc.

Hope some of this helps!