Photo

New to Line 6: Workbench HD won't read Variax?

Best Answer TheRealZap , 23 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

have you made sure the volume is up and that a standard 1/4" jack is plugged into the guitar as well?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FloorTile4

FloorTile4

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

I just got a JTV-69 today, and I've installed Workbench HD, Monkey, and License Manager (on Windows 8.1). Using Monkey, I updated everything I could (though, for some reason I had to do them manually from the site), and I've authorized my computer on License Manager. The guitar itself, when connected to a regular amp, works. Despite this, Variax Workbench nor Workbench HD will read my guitar, no matter how many times I rescan. I've tried connecting both with and without the USB hub, but no dice. I charged my battery to the point the red light on the adapter started flashing, too. I figure the problem has to do with the fact that the USB-end of the hub has a green light, while the opposite end (where the guitar is connected, sorry, don't remember the name of the type of cable) is flashing red. I tried connecting my guitar to the hub with a different cable and switching sides, but still nothing. Another thing: When I first connected my guitar to my computer, should I have gotten an immediate prompt to download any the three programs? Because I didn't. I registered my guitar and downloaded them manually from the software page (and later updated on Monkey). I don't know if the solution might be available in the support page already, but at this point I feel too frustrated (Imagine how ecstatic I was when I took it out of the included gig-bag) and am not in the patient mood to look for it. This is my first Line 6 product ($799!), so I'm not exactly sure if there's a difference between searching "James Tyler Variax" or "Variax" on the software page. I also tried changing devices on Monkey as well as adding a device on Variax Workbench, but the only device I see is "Variax USB Interface". Sorry if this a ignorant question, but I really am at a loss.

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15657 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:30 PM   Best Answer

have you made sure the volume is up and that a standard 1/4" jack is plugged into the guitar as well?

#3 FloorTile4

FloorTile4

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

Wow, I feel so stupid... It worked, thanks! I turned the volume up, but I subconsciously decided having to connect a jack was optional. 

#4 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15657 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

its just a power save feature, when running on batteries it turns off with no cable plugged in.

if you were using a pod with a VDI cable you wouldn't need to have a 1/4" jack because the VDI cable would be supplying power and not the battery.

#5 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1187 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:48 AM

The problem is that the USB interface cannot power the JTV so you have to insert a jack and turn the volume up for the JTV to power up.  Glad you got it working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users