Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV 69 no 5th fret harmonics on neck pickup.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this but when i put the magnetic neck pickup only on I get absolutely no 5th fret harmonics. I guesse this has some thing to do with the pickup placement and some sort of cancellation.

Is this normal for strats? It is very frustrating.

This is just the physical magnetic pickups right? I'm assuming the modeled pickups still work for that harmonic since the strings are actually being sensed by the piezos in the bridge. Or is that somehow mathematically possible to include that in the modeling?

Yes the models will always work for the harmonic - I actually tried it last night and I got sound from the harmonic with mags, but at a very low level but as I was using a very high gain patch at the time I could hear it fine. When I switched from mags to model the level of the harmonic jumped right up in level

Piezo pickups are completely different than mags.  They pick up the vibration at the very end of the strings.  It's up to the modeling to simulate what the strings are doing where the mags would be.  Different harmonics have nodes in different places along the strings.

I guess we should really be complaining to Line 6 about the lack of realism of the Variax models because the don't account for nodes coinciding with pickup position when playing harmonics.

It should just be a case of determining from the pickup position what frequencies for that string will have a node at that distance from the bridge and then doing a cut around those frequencies.  Gets a bit trickier when alternate tunings are included though, but that just shifts the node frequencies proportional to the tuning.

What it can't model is when you have physically changed the tuning from standard.