Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

One sub and two tops?

I have mostly used one L3m and one L3s speaker on each side as my default setup. Now I probably need to use four L3m speakers (two on each side). Will my subs handle this without any special setup or should I ideally also have double sets of L3s speakers? Which of course is far too expensive to be realistic :-)

From what I'd summise about building the stack, the norm would be to boost bass before tops but I suppose it depends whether you're using the bigger rig indoors or outdoors.

1x L3m

2x L3m

2x L3m + 1x L3s

2x L3m + 2x L3s

Once we look at stacks in excess of the above, my first step would be to add 2 additional L3s, then finally the 2 extra L3m's

2x L3m + 4x L3s

4x L3m + 4x L3s

The system will handle it however you add them in though. L6Link from your M20d can support up to 18 L3 and L2 cabinets and I guess indoors, the extra bass punch is less important than the top, but outdoors, it's the bass that dissipates first. What you have to remember is that a single L3s in the rig means that the L3m's have a reduced bass response as they are not fed the bass frequencies. Adding too many L3m's without additional bass could make your whole sound rather "toppy". Perhaps consider 1 additional L3s to balance the extra 2 L3m's.

So here is my take on it.  I think you're fine with 1 L3S per side.  I have played many gigs with 1 L3s and 2 L3t as my entire speaker array.  In fact, when I bought my second L3s, I was thinking it was pretty much going to be an expensive speaker stand but since getting the second of course it sounds amazing.  Personally, I would grow my PA kind of backwards to SiWatts69, I would get the two more L3m's and then if necessary add the subs later if needed.  

Personally, I would grow my PA kind of backwards to SiWatts69, I would get the two more L3m's and then if necessary add the subs later if needed.  

Thanks, litesnsirens. That was definitely the answer my wallet wanted to hear :-)

Nevertheless; based on the theory of SiWatts69: Would it possibly be better to connect two additional L3m speakers to the analog outputs? Then I guess they would act as true full range speakers - without realizing that there are subs in the rig whatsoever. 

Maybe I'm just going to try out the options. If it sounds good, it sounds good ...

Are you using M20d mixer?  Personally I think the L3s are so good at their job I would leave the second set of in the L6 link line.  If you want to give more of the work to the 4 tops, just try lowering to crossover point.  Maybe down to the 80hz or 100 hz.  See what works best.  Then the 4 tops would be working everything above 80hz and the subs just handling 80 and under.

I have mostly used one L3m and one L3s speaker on each side as my default setup. Now I probably need to use four L3m speakers (two on each side). Will my subs handle this without any special setup or should I ideally also have double sets of L3s speakers? Which of course is far too expensive to be realistic :-)

Hi,

May I ask: How do you use your system? Live sound for band, pre-recorded dance music, size of room, number of people, etc.?

My take is this: Without understanding the what/how/where (etc) you use your system, it would be hard to say if extra sub(s) are needed beyond the 2 you have now.

Sort of what I said... if it's indoors, the subs are not so important, but outdoors, it's bass frequencies which roll off first and thus need a little more help than the upper frequencies.

Don't fall into the trap of believing that I know what I'm talking about ;-) If it were me though, I'd get two more subs first, use my L2m's as FOH alongside my L3m's and run other powered speakers out for monitors.

egkor, I play in 3 live classic rock type bands.  Never DJ, occasionally I do sound for other bands but only by request, I never go looking for that kind of work.  I agree the type of room/setting you are playing dictates your PA requirements, but my overall statement was speaking more to the stagescape system itself and my personal findings with it in various situations.  The L3s is a killer sub, it's well tuned, it packs a massive punch and works so well with the rest of the system.  My comments are based on that alone.

SiWatts69, I've read many of your posts and as such I am confident that you indeed know what you are talking about.  Different tactics or approaches to the same situation are just that.  How easy it would be to live in this world if there only existed absolute right and wrong answers.  

I play mostly in clubs most of them seat 100+ people some a little smaller some a little larger.  In the bigger ones I can get the Main level on the M20d up to about -17 to -15 db before it starts getting too loud.  We have done the odd larger wedding type events in banquet halls that seat 300 - 400 people ... still up to -10db is about as high as I can get the system in a room that size without the volume becoming uncomfortable.  Any outdoor gigs I have done with this system (and these are always tricky) has depended on the number of people there and how close they are to the stage.  But even doing an outdoor beer garden type thing with 300-400 hundred people, the two L3t and two L3s have been plenty loud enough and the bottom end hasn't suffered.  Now that said, I haven't played anything larger than that with this system, you know like the type of thing where you would see a real headlining type act where you might have upwards of 2000, 5000, 15000 people.  

So if you're playing to these numbers of people, I'll defer to others on subs or tops first.  But up to a 1000 people outside or inside, I would grow the tops first then the subs.