Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Lower level right channel (in-ears)

MarcoSP

I've been using pods for a LONG time (since pod 2.0) and currently use a HD500. I regret that line 6 chose to change completely the outputs from X3 (I loved being able to send different sounds to the FOH and my amps, which are there just for the other musicians since I use in-ears). That being said...

I constantly have a problem with different levels coming to my ears, the right channel seeming to be at least 6 dB lower. Weirdly, the FOH tech doesn't see any difference. Is that possible?

My rhythm preset is stereo (I put a 22ms delay before the mixer in my path and pan hard LR). 

I've read about different inputs etc, but it's just crazy... When I record using the pod as an interface both L and R are perfectly aligned. Then I plug the earphones into the phones output and it sounds unbalanced.

I've been living with that for a long time (since I bought the hd), always asking the monitor tech to raise the R level, but I was wondering if someone has solved this. Maybe no one uses a delay to create a fake stereo but hey, it's worth the shot.

TIA

I wasnt very clear, when I play live I use the XLR outputs to the FOH and monitors, the 1/4" outputs to the amps. I only used the "headphone" output for testing when I'm recording, nothing else. I have the inputs set as guitar and same, and some mono fx before the amp (noise gate, wah).

Edited by MarcoSP

I have noticed something similar to this, but only while using the edit software, and like you say, only the right channel. To fix it, I had to move the volume slider on the mixer tab; didn't matter how much or increase or decrease, the effect of increased volume was immediately noticeable. Unfortunately, I have no clue what causes this and happens seemingly randomly, and rarely too. It seems like you experience it all the time, so maybe something else is going on.

Could it be something with the in-ears? Plug the in-ears into something else entirely.

Another way to get a nice stereo effect, if you can spare the DSP, is the pitch glide set to +0.1, mix 100% in one of the two paths.

Is the lower volume on the side with the delay?  I seem to remember reading that the tone stack in the delay only cuts so if the bass and treble are turned down it actually lowers the signal a bit.  Sort of like the chorus boosts the signal a bit.  Try turning the tone in the delay full up.  Might be you only recognize it because of the definition in the headphones.  Its probably not detectable at volume...

• Upvote 2

Wow, thank you both duncann and radatats, I'll try all suggestions (the pitch glide stereo sounds very clever). It can't be the in-ears, I use them (shure se535s) all the time to listen to music from my mobile and it sounds normal. If it is the delay tone I'll be negatively shocked once again by the HD (XT, X3, none showed this issue).

Thanks a lot for the help!

Not all the delays have the bass and treble controls, so it could be that, or couldn't. Most don't. Another way to achieve a stereo separation is with the stereo delay after the mixer. Put the left delay (or right) at 20ms and the right (or left) more than 20ms, both feedbacks at min, and the mix at 100%. I think this effect can also be achieved with the ping pong delay. Doing it this way, you can eliminate the need for any dual path configuration, simplifying things a little.