Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 M13 Turning On & Off, Screen Display Errors

leejlewis

Has anyone experienced and if so found a solution for the M13 turning off and back on again intermittently. Unit is 4 years old, aside from the on/off the display on channel 3 & 4 goes distorted and unit has to be switched off and on again to get it back to normal.

The on off issue is a real pain and last 2 weekends at gigs has turned off mid song and taken sound completely away and just standing there panicing thinking what the hell has happened. No logic to when this happens. I have updated the  firmware thinking it was a software rather than hardware issue.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. Really like using M13 but reliability is a real pain and might have to go back to seperate pedals at this rate

thanks

Lee

As Zap said, the 2.04 update addressed the power cycling issue. The scrambled screens, though, make me wonder if you may have something else going on. Are you using the Line 6 power adapter to power the M13?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I experienced the power cycling issue for the first time last night at band practice.  I'm running firmware 2.04 .  Unit worked perfectly at the gig Saturday night, no damage or issues, but it was so bad at band practice last night that after trying four different outlets I gave up and powered it off.... now seems to be working ok today.

Upon power up, the unit would flicker the lights quite a bit, then display random colors, text would disappear, pedals would not function, then the whole thing would power off after about 3 seconds, start up again, and repeat.  Seemed like handling it and moving it around caused it to last longer before it shut down.  Effects worked fine while it was on, no nasty sounds.  I pray this does not happen again during a gig... but how can I be sure? 

• 3 months later...

"Scrambled Letters, pixels ect on the LCD"

Hi Guys,

I'm Ron from Manila Philippines. I got the M13 from a local reseller who got the unit the the US. The Power Supply is 110V but he got me a converter because we use 220v here.

So I got all the patches labelled as Chorus, Flanger, delay ect so that even if the display would scramble, i wont get confused on which effect to turn on.

When I used it in a concert where the power wasnt stable, the screed really messed up. Logically, i suspect that this is a power supply issue. I have updated the firmware to the latest one which is 2.04

Any Suggestion for PSU Replacement? Can I use 1 Spot as a replacement? I used 1 spot before for my M9..

you need 9VAC power not DC power like a i spot.

which may work.. but may also permanently damage your device...

look for a PX1

"Scrambled Letters, pixels ect on the LCD"

Hi Guys,

I'm Ron from Manila Philippines. I got the M13 from a local reseller who got the unit the the US. The Power Supply is 110V but he got me a converter because we use 220v here.

So I got all the patches labelled as Chorus, Flanger, delay ect so that even if the display would scramble, i wont get confused on which effect to turn on.

When I used it in a concert where the power wasnt stable, the screed really messed up. Logically, i suspect that this is a power supply issue. I have updated the firmware to the latest one which is 2.04

Any Suggestion for PSU Replacement? Can I use 1 Spot as a replacement? I used 1 spot before for my M9..

• 2 weeks later...

If it isn't the power supply check the Ribbon cables inside.  Use hot glue gun to glue them back so they don't come loose over time.

Power supplies for some reason are a real bad design.  What ever they use for the outer casing is crap.  Hate to say it but my unit has very little gig time and it stays in the house and goes now and then to another room but I noticed that the end that comes out to the pedal side,  right at the pack on the relief it breaks the casing exposing the wires.  I have tried to remedy this with some liquid rubber just to keep it from exposing and shorting.

Line 6 Pay attention, because customers should NOT have to buy new power supply units for defective design flaws.  You should allow the customers to trade them in should the company redesign them.  It isn't just this company but many headphone cables are the same way.  The oils from your hands and day to day use they just crack and break apart under no abusive usage.

• 3 weeks later...